Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   The hunt to get a Nav MyFord Touch... (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295264)

hotleadsingerguy 08-14-2012 08:15 AM

The hunt to get a Nav MyFord Touch...

Good morning, board.

When I ordered my car, it was a few months before the model released. As such, it was a bit tough to get exactly what I wanted. I needed a new car, and I waited for about 6 weeks to get the one that was only missing a single feature I wanted: the Navigation system. If I wanted it, I'd have had to wait another 6 months or so, which I could not have done. At the time, dealerships and salesmen were telling customers that we'd be able to upgrade to it later down the line, so it wasn't a huge deal.

But they lied.

Right now, the only way to get a replacement APIM with navigation is to have a VIN # and part serial number (not part number...the serial number of the actual module currently installed). That means, the only way to get the nav system now is to currently *have* a nav system in need of replacement. From what we've already seen, the modules are completely interchangeable: Just unplug one and plug the other in and it does all of the rest. This means I just have to find the nav system module!

fordparts.com sells the one we need for the 2012 Focus Titanium for $1062, but the actual purchase has to be done through a dealership...which hits the same dilemma. Trolling eBay isn't easy because very few people are parting out their new cars...one forum member was lucky enough to grab the module for $500, but that's not likely to happen again anytime soon.

So we need to come up with a plan! Anyone have any contacts or thoughts on how to accomplish this feat? I know there was some interest in doing this exact thing over the course of the past year...I know a few people were very unhappy with how Sync Navigation was built up in their minds and then crushed when they received the cars and realized how utterly useless it was. Here's the info on the APIM we need, and keep in mind the thing that matters is the "Ice Feature Pack 25":

Part #18806 - Audio Chassis
Sync II Sync II With Navigation ; Sgl Tun/Sgl CD W/Sdars/HD LXF, Ice Feature Pack 24, ICE Feature Pack 25; Order From Audio/Multimedia Center Online Ordering System Using The Online 1878 Form, Audio Control Module (ACM)

oritpro 08-14-2012 03:09 PM

Not sure if this will help but I heard through the grapevine that one of the upcoming patches might include the ability to display Google maps from a connected cell phone to the MFT display. I've also heard that there will be an update in September.

This comes from a fairly reliable source; however, I cannot confirm it's validity so take it with a grain of salt.

jcarlilesiu 08-14-2012 04:18 PM

Following along.

I want this too.. but I offer nothing in the way of making it happen.

[cheers] To whomever helps in the effort.

I Bleed Ford Blue 08-14-2012 05:05 PM

I'm not too far from you, and mine has nav. So if you need part #'s or vin # let me know.

pozi240 08-14-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oritpro (Post 4305959)
Not sure if this will help but I heard through the grapevine that one of the upcoming patches might include the ability to display Google maps from a connected cell phone to the MFT display. I've also heard that there will be an update in September.

This comes from a fairly reliable source; however, I cannot confirm it's validity so take it with a grain of salt.

Actually, that ties in VERY closely to the info I shared in this post here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...46#post4262646

I just want some of the basic options back again... and better stability. LOL

xanotos 08-14-2012 06:40 PM

I didn't get my SE with MFT and wish I had (want back-up camera now)[:)~]
I didn't think much of it and knew that I could use my iphone as a map, but man does that Service feature with My Ford Sync sucks!
I mean, if I just drive an extra block past the route it gives me, I have to redownload the route again!
But other then that, I still love me focus!!! [:)~]
Hopefully soon I can get it upgraded to MFT (once all of the glitches are ironed out) and get all of the extras I didn't get with my SE.

DayGlow 08-14-2012 06:50 PM

Will the dealership own up and admit their mistake? If so have them pay the difference from what the spec sheet says nav cost.

hotleadsingerguy 08-14-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue (Post 4306070)
I'm not too far from you, and mine has nav. So if you need part #'s or vin # let me know.

That's not a half-bad idea [woot]

Quote:

Originally Posted by DayGlow (Post 4306199)
Will the dealership own up and admit their mistake? If so have them pay the difference from what the spec sheet says nav cost.

They admitted to their mistake...but there's no real "monetary" value to the mistake. I didn't actually *pay* for the navigation. They tricked me into believing I had it when I bought the car, but the only navigation I received was the Sync navigation which is horrific.

looney 08-14-2012 09:01 PM

what does the nav quadrant do if the mft doesnt have the nav package? i guess i got lucky when i got mine, as the nav was a give or take feature for me. it came on the car that my dealership found me.

oritpro 08-14-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pozi240 (Post 4306172)
Actually, that ties in VERY closely to the info I shared in this post here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...46#post4262646

I just want some of the basic options back again... and better stability. LOL

Yeah stability would be a nice bonus. I just did a master reset a few weeks ago and the system already acts like it needs another. That's pretty typical for a Microsoft product and it's starting to wear thin on me.

Like you suggested in your link, they need to dump MS Automotive. I'd be in favor of something along the lines of Android that would support Google maps, Voice, and Gmail right on the MFT.

I ran into a web site called OpenXC the other day. It is an open source API that supports modular software/hardware add-ons for vehicles and it appears that Ford is 100% behind it. I am very excited about this because it will take automotive infotainment to a whole new level!