Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Transmission Shaking To/From 1st Gear (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295215)

BPEW584 08-13-2012 06:54 PM

Transmission Shaking To/From 1st Gear
 
Hi all,

About ~250 km ago, I had the 12B37 update applied. I noticed right away that the transmission was working much better than before: Smooth shifting, lower noise, etc.

However, just today, during some traffic on an uphill slope, the engine started to shake rather violently. Once the road flattened out, it sort of smoothed-out again; the car now just slightly rumbles whenever shifting to/from 1st gear.

Any feedback? I'm not sure if I should wait it out and hope for this to pass within the next few hundred km, or take it back to the dealership (which would be a big inconvenience to me). I just find it rather odd that it was working properly right after the update.

Thanks.

Joeywhat 08-13-2012 06:57 PM

What RPM range was this happening at?

Try giving it more throttle down low in the rpm range and see if it goes away.

BPEW584 08-13-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeywhat (Post 4304702)
What RPM range was this happening at?

Try giving it more throttle down low in the rpm range and see if it goes away.

Not too sure, around 1k - 2k I'm guessing. Regardless, I think, it shouldn't rumble at all considering it was working brilliantly before today.

feta_mgp 08-13-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BPEW584 (Post 4304710)
Not too sure, around 1k - 2k I'm guessing. Regardless, I think, it shouldn't rumble at all considering it was working brilliantly before today.

Are you stop and go uphill a lot? That might have something to do with it. Going to be more difficult for the car to move forward when constantly going uphill, especially at slow speeds.

I'd give a few more days of normal driving before drawing any conclusions, and of course if it persists, bring it to your dealership.

kam327 08-13-2012 08:11 PM

Same thing with mine from new. Shudder from launch when hot developed around 300 miles. Did the 5 full throttle starts, drove aggressively, gradually went away a few hundred miles later. You probably have to drive like a first-thousand-mile break in, agressive accelerations, upshift and downshift frequently, put it through its paces (again...)

BPEW584 08-13-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kam327 (Post 4304792)
Same thing with mine from new. Shudder from launch when hot developed around 300 miles. Did the 5 full throttle starts, drove aggressively, gradually went away a few hundred miles later. You probably have to drive like a first-thousand-mile break in, agressive accelerations, upshift and downshift frequently, put it through its paces (again...)

Thanks. I will certainly try.

It doesn't matter that it was just working fine though?

kam327 08-14-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BPEW584 (Post 4304874)
Thanks. I will certainly try.

It doesn't matter that it was just working fine though?

Nope, mine was too for the first few hundred miles. And it pretty much is now.

Welcome to transmission adaptive learning! Or improper clutch seating. One of the two! [driving]

unfocused1 08-14-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kam327 (Post 4305324)
Welcome to transmission adaptive learning! Or improper clutch seating. One of the two! [driving]

"improper clutch seating" - is that the grinding noise people experience?

kam327 08-14-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unfocused1 (Post 4306111)
"improper clutch seating" - is that the grinding noise people experience?

I don't think so. It's what causes clutch slippage and results in shuddering.

BPEW584 08-14-2012 10:21 PM

I'm seriously considering the battery reset method... This is getting supremely annoying to drive.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.