Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK2 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Bird [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] fried my exterior paint. Any advice would help (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294705)

drcupcake 08-07-2012 03:39 PM

Bird [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] fried my exterior paint. Any advice would help

The other day I got my car washed and polished and noticed that the bird doo doo that was on my car fried my exterior paint. Its not real bad and there is no sign of rust yet.

My issue is how can I stop it from spreading and rusting for now. There is no more gloss on that area. I was wondering if I should do a light buff on it. But I'm worried the whole paint will come off. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of looking up my color code number and buying touch up car paint. I'm still wondering if I can do anything else without having to replace my exterior trunk lid. So any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

10FOCISES 08-07-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcupcake (Post 4296443)
The other day I got my car washed and polished and noticed that the bird doo doo that was on my car fried my exterior paint. Its not real bad and there is no sign of rust yet.

My issue is how can I stop it from spreading and rusting for now. There is no more gloss on that area. I was wondering if I should do a light buff on it. But I'm worried the whole paint will come off. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of looking up my color code number and buying touch up car paint. I'm still wondering if I can do anything else without having to replace my exterior trunk lid. So any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Perhaps a pic of the affected area might help...

Buickboy 08-07-2012 04:53 PM

did you try clay baring it? itll remove any contamination and let you see the real damage

bmiglio72 08-07-2012 07:00 PM

Take a picture. i have no idea what you are talking about with bird crap. just soak it and wipe it. like buickboy said try a clay bar or even just get a little wax out and rub some of that on.

gtferrari 08-07-2012 08:07 PM

there is a car care thread somewhere. prolly off the main page. its not specific to our gen.

but here is how i care for my car.
1. remove all surface debris with a power washer

2. remove all wax and embeded debris using dawn dish soap. this may take serveral attempts to get all the wax off.

3. wash the car with a high quality wash. i use meguires gold.

IMPORTANT wash in straight lines only. do not wash in circular patterns. straight scratches are easier to remove than circular ones.

4. dry the car using either compressed air or a silicone waterblade.

now you will be able to properly assess the condition of your paint.

5. clay bar time. i use mothers california clay bar and the supplied detailing fluid as lubricant. apply a few sprays of lube to the surface and using the clay go in straight lines. yes you can go back and forth. this is to limit any swirling and circular scratches again. you can actually hear the product working. no noise equals clean paint.

dry the cleaned surface with a microfiber towel. drying in straight lines folding as necessary

now if your car needs mechanical polishing this would be the time to do so.

6.now apply a sealant. there are many out there. i used nufinish last time. apply it in straight lines and wipe the excess off with the microfiber towel.Yes, in straight lines....
reapply a second coat if you wish but it is advised to wait to the following day to do so to let the sealant cure.

7.wax. i used a paste wax as it gives you the best finish but it is the most time consuming process. you may use a carnuba spray wax if you wish. aplly product in straight lines again? yes again. wipe the dried product off with another microfiber towel. in ...yup, you guessed it; straight lines.

this should get you a show car shine and a protective finish that lasts.

drcupcake 08-08-2012 04:10 PM

Rephrase: Bird Dookie has caused paint deteriation

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmiglio72 (Post 4296775)
Take a picture. i have no idea what you are talking about with bird crap. just soak it and wipe it. like buickboy said try a clay bar or even just get a little wax out and rub some of that on.

This is the the best pic i can do sense its about to rain. I found this spot right after I got my car washed and polished.

I'll try the clay bar soon to see how bad it is. Regardless I can tell there is definite damage. The damage to the paint looks like if I don't do something soon it will begin to rust and spread.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...808_145244.jpg

Minchkin 08-08-2012 04:31 PM

How long was it left there? I have had some on my car for a few days and it didn't do this...

10FOCISES 08-08-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minchkin (Post 4298142)
How long was it left there? I have had some on my car for a few days and it didn't do this...

Agreed, I've never seen any damage this bad due to bird droppings left over a few days.

gtferrari 08-08-2012 07:10 PM

what do your birds feed on?

Minchkin 08-09-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtferrari (Post 4298368)
what do your birds feed on?

Radioactive isotope 465! [grinking]