Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Oil filters for D-techs (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294114)

felixthecat 07-31-2012 11:04 AM

Oil filters for D-techs
 
I've been using FL400 oil filters for a little while now & Has any tried using a FL842 filter? Its a little shorter but bigger round. Just looking for more options. What do you guys think of the bosch filter? What filters to you guys use?

Djzx3 07-31-2012 11:42 AM

I always use the fl-400, motorcraft filter, Never tried anything else?

felixthecat 07-31-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djzx3 (Post 4285228)
I always use the fl-400, motorcraft filter, Never tried anything else?

Just looking at FL842 being a slightley bigger diameter filter. Working now @ quicklane gives me the chance to look at filters. I just tried one on a customers focus & it fits. I didn't have a choice when they closed my shop up last month. I don't really care for the politics here at Sound Ford running Quicklane here, anyway I'm here for now. Talk to you later DJ, have a good day, huh.

Djzx3 07-31-2012 12:02 PM

Sorry to hear you lost your shop man, let us know if the FL842 filter turns out to be better?

felixthecat 07-31-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djzx3 (Post 4285269)
Sorry to hear you lost your shop man, let us know if the FL842 filter turns out to be better?

Thats what happens when the dirt bags come in & raise the shop rate from & the parts prices= no good.

Djzx3 07-31-2012 01:04 PM

I could only imagine how hard it is.

One day I'll know, seeing as I want to open up my own mechanic shop, but lets not take your thread off topic.

Anyone else have experiences with oil filters for the D23, besides the motorcraft fl-400?

Speaking of oil filters, two weeks ago I went to advance auto part and autozone, and they didn't have fl-400?

I ended up having to go to walmart to get fl-400? They thinking of changing the code, or pulling that filter?

felixthecat 07-31-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djzx3 (Post 4285416)
I could only imagine how hard it is.

One day I'll know, seeing as I want to open up my own mechanic shop, but lets not take your thread off topic.

Anyone else have experiences with oil filters for the D23, besides the motorcraft fl-400?

Speaking of oil filters, two weeks ago I went to advance auto part and autozone, and they didn't have fl-400?

I ended up having to go to walmart to get fl-400? They thinking of changing the code, or pulling that filter?

Not that I know of. Wally world= thats where I get my filters & oil= beats my so called employee price= thats a laugh.

04ZX3 08-02-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4285850)
Not that I know of. Wally world= thats where I get my filters & oil= beats my so called employee price= thats a laugh.

I haven't tried different filter sizes but I'm curious as to what others are using as well. I've been using K&N oil filters but I keep hearing mixed things. It's made by Champion labs which makes good stuff but everyone has something different to say about it. I actually have to change my oil this weekend, what filter should I get? I'm looking for a synthetic filter media and a good anti drain back valve. Does Walmart sell mobil1 oil filters?

felixthecat 08-02-2012 09:04 PM

Synthetic fiber media filter?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 04ZX3 (Post 4289722)
I haven't tried different filter sizes but I'm curious as to what others are using as well. I've been using K&N oil filters but I keep hearing mixed things. It's made by Champion labs which makes good stuff but everyone has something different to say about it. I actually have to change my oil this weekend, what filter should I get? I'm looking for a synthetic filter media and a good anti drain back valve. Does Walmart sell mobil1 oil filters?

I've been using FL910's since new w/ 5w20 Mobil 1 & for a couple of yrs now been using FL400's. I was investagating horizon filter adapters & heard you need to have a verticle filter mount. So I was looking at a bigger diameter & found FL842 works & thats what I put on at work today. As far as different brands of filters= wow I wouldn't know where to start. I disliked Fram filters from along time ago. They have since changed since then along w/ everthing else. Next filter change I'll figure which one to get. Seems like everone has something positive & negative, so I don't know. Walmart has some mobil 1 filters. Another thing is what does synthetic fiber media consist of?[scratch] Anyone want to take a stap at that?

04ZX3 08-02-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4289795)
I've been using FL910's since new w/ 5w20 Mobil 1 & for a couple of yrs now been using FL400's. I was investagating horizon filter adapters & heard you need to have a verticle filter mount. So I was looking at a bigger diameter & found FL842 works & thats what I put on at work today. As far as different brands of filters= wow I wouldn't know where to start. I disliked Fram filters from along time ago. They have since changed since then along w/ everthing else. Next filter change I'll figure which one to get. Seems like everone has something positive & negative, so I don't know. Walmart has some mobil 1 filters. Another thing is what does synthetic fiber media consist of?[scratch] Anyone want to take a stap at that?

If I'm not mistaken, there's two types of filter medias. Your regular paper ones and your synthetic medias. Apparently, regular paper medias will break down over a regular service interval but the synthetic medias are supposed to not only filter better and allow better flow but they aren't suppose to degrade nearly as fast during a service interval. I don't know the exact details, I haven't done enough research yet


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 PM.