Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Camber Question (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293641)

SVTFocusOnMe 07-25-2012 12:27 PM

Camber Question

So I own an 03 SVT and recently bought new wheels and tires, went from stock EAPs to Rota Grids 17x8 et40 with 225/45/17 tires. I am still on the stock suspension and most likely will be that way for a while. Now since the new set up is wider I get a little rubbing on the fender. I have looked at it and had some other people look at it and have come to the conclusion that even if I was to get the fenders rolled it might not totally fix my problem. So I might need to do negative camber, nothing crazy 1 degree at the most. Is anyone else running a similar set up? Also how much of an effect would 1 degree have on my tire wear?

lyonsroar 07-25-2012 12:39 PM

I have -1 degree on all four corners. That is in spec.

LiciouzSVT 07-25-2012 01:17 PM

^me too. I haven't had my setup on for that long but I haven't noticed any unusual tire wear.

SVTFocusOnMe 07-25-2012 01:46 PM

I was gonna scoop up some Camber plates for fronts and bolts for the rear. That should be all I need correct?

Nickgt40 07-25-2012 01:49 PM

DO NOT buy SPC camber plates. They cause binding between the spring and the strut top and can cause the upper part of the strut to shear. The fronts are easy to roll and pull, I would strongly suggest doing that before dropping a single dollar on the SPC plates.

The bolts and arms (arms aren't needed in your application) in the rear are great however. I still suggest rolling your rear arches as well.

SVTFocusOnMe 07-25-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickgt40 (Post 4275962)
DO NOT buy SPC camber plates. They cause binding between the spring and the strut top and can cause the upper part of the strut to shear. The fronts are easy to roll and pull, I would strongly suggest doing that before dropping a single dollar on the SPC plates.

The bolts and arms (arms aren't needed in your application) in the rear are great however. I still suggest rolling your rear arches as well.

A roll won't totally fix my problem. Would another brand be better? I was looking in Eibach

Nickgt40 07-25-2012 02:40 PM

I'd be willing to bet that it would get you pretty darn close, especially with a pull and especially with only SVT springs

The Eibach design is the exact same as the SPC. Unfortunately they're all junk.

If you want camber you'll need to go to a full camber plate set-up like the LCR, KMAC, or FSWerks.

YellowJellyBean 07-25-2012 02:42 PM

I'd listen to Nick on this one. He knows a thing or two about being low lol.

SVTFocusOnMe 07-25-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickgt40 (Post 4276056)
I'd be willing to bet that it would get you pretty darn close, especially with a pull and especially with only SVT springs

The Eibach design is the exact same as the SPC. Unfortunately they're all junk.

If you want camber you'll need to go to a full camber plate set-up like the LCR, KMAC, or FSWerks.

The ones for $240 on CFM? If thats the case I'll try to get the fenders rolled first.

Nickgt40 07-25-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickgt40 (Post 4275962)
The fronts are easy to roll and pull, I would strongly suggest doing that before dropping a single dollar on the SPC plates.

Now you're starting to see it my way.

[thumb]

Another easy fix is to get smaller tires. 225/45/17s are generally too tall for a focus.