Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Flex Fuel...Why? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293590)

Power Surge 07-24-2012 06:11 PM

Flex Fuel...Why?

I've always understood what flex fuel cars were, but this is my first time owning one so now I pay more attention to it.

I am very curious as to WHY have a car that can run off E85?

It gets worse fuel mileage. It seems to be cheaper, but the lower MPG negates that. It's much more corrosive. And it's not like there's an ethanol station at every corner. I doubt too many people will be in the scenario of desperately needing gas and there not being a gas station nearby, but hey, "there's an ethanol station over there".

What is the point of Flex Fuel?

suss6052 07-24-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Surge (Post 4274508)
I've always understood what flex fuel cars were, but this is my first time owning one so now I pay more attention to it.

I am very curious as to WHY have a car that can run off E85?

It gets worse fuel mileage. It seems to be cheaper, but the lower MPG negates that. It's much more corrosive. And it's not like there's an ethanol station at every corner. I doubt too many people will be in the scenario of desperately needing gas and there not being a gas station nearby, but hey, "there's an ethanol station over there".

What is the point of Flex Fuel?

Besides the fact that the manufacturers got CAFE credits towards their fuel economy, as they got to count only the 15% of the fuel that was gasoline in their cafe mpg figures?

Well there is the fact that if the EPA and the government try to force more ethanol in regular gas its better to have the car calibrated to run on it than getting screwed out of being able to drive on account of not being able to get fuel.

The point was that the manufacturers got to make a cheap change that increased their cafe scores and gained them credits to use towards delaying progress in improving the actual fuel economy of the cars.

feta_mgp 07-24-2012 06:35 PM

Also, ethanol is a renewable source of energy, so the efficiency isn't as important as far as gas mileage is concerned. People want better mileage now because we have this whole energy crisis with oil, but you give me a bigger gas tank and cheaper ethanol, and the fact that they end up negating the differences in cost vs efficiency means that it doesn't matter.

darkangelism 07-24-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feta_mgp (Post 4274554)
Also, ethanol is a renewable source of energy, so the efficiency isn't as important as far as gas mileage is concerned. People want better mileage now because we have this whole energy crisis with oil, but you give me a bigger gas tank and cheaper ethanol, and the fact that they end up negating the differences in cost vs efficiency means that it doesn't matter.

we cannot grow enough corn to fully replace oil, if every car used E85 we would run out really fast.

NickCornell 07-24-2012 06:38 PM

Ethanol is the DEVIL!

02svtf300 07-24-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickCornell (Post 4274563)
Ethanol is the DEVIL!

I agree... its a sales gimmick tords the ignorant

BetaDnB 07-24-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkangelism (Post 4274562)
we cannot grow enough corn to fully replace oil, if every car used E85 we would run out really fast.

Especially with a summer like we've had across the country. How do you make fuel when corn doesn't grow period?

craigsfocus 07-24-2012 07:46 PM

I would've preferred to have gotten a E85 Focus just for the peace of mind because of the Ethanol in regular fuel and there has been some talk to increase the Ethanol content in regular fuel. The Liberals are ruining everyones cars just because they wanna save the environment. But the oil companies will play along just because they are saving millions by using less regular gas and using cheaper Ethanol, they made even more money when Obama gave oil companies money to use Ethanol in regular fuel.

I believe the Tax Payers should have a choice in fuel. Since its my car and I don't want to ruin it just to please the bleeding heart Liberals.

Nick Markham 07-24-2012 08:15 PM

Until E85 gets around $2.25 a gallon, stay away from that CRAP!!

feta_mgp 07-24-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkangelism (Post 4274562)

Who said we were fully replacing oil? I just said it's renewable. And just like many other plants I'm sure you can use artificial means of growing corn indoors with artificial sunlight and so on and so forth, especially if the only use it's going to have is to provide fuel.

Either way, the dependence on oil needs to stop, but of course the oil industry is too greedy for that to happen, considering GM tried in the 90s with a perfectly viable electric car, of which hundreds or thousands now sit derelict in a lot somewhere because of the greed of the oil industry. Sad that over 10 years later we're finally seeing electric cars and other means of alternative fuels really taking off.