Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Looking at a SVT. (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293386)

TheJon 07-22-2012 02:03 AM

Looking at a SVT.

Hi, i am currently looking for a new car to replace my 2000 Monte Carlo SS Pace Car. Shes an automatic and has been only a cash pit since the purchase. I was saving up for a WRX STi but my current car will not last any longer on the road and i need to replace soon.

So back to why im here, im looking at an SVT for sale with 62K miles for around 7 grand. id like to ask for expert opinions before i commit to buying a new car.
Link:http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...25700215&Log=0

Questions:
-Are SVTs reliable?
-Is it a good price?
-Any common problems(another cash pit?)
-Do they provide good performance and is an overall fun to drive car?
-I see a nice dent by the headlight, would that be a cheap fix?
Sorry in advance if i post in the wrong area.

felixthecat 07-22-2012 02:41 AM

That seems like a good price w/62,000 miles. I'd be trying to figure out if the timing belt was changed= do they have any records w/ the car? That needs to be done. I'd get a tune w/ old Diablo predator being the best. So get a sct tune w/ a throttle body, which cfm= central florida motorsports has. Check the clutch & the regular things. Over 60,000 I'd change the fuel filter & plugs, air filter. Looking at the brakes & cv joints boots, checking the front wheel bearings. Making sure the car wasn't in a accident or crashed, looking at the core support & under neath the car too. They are great cars to drive. Being a used car & that means any, could perhaps use a battery, starter, alternator, t-stat, rad/heater hoses, like any used car, might need it a few months or a few yrs. I believe you'll like the svt.Someone w/ a svt could chime in & add or update what I said.

FLYLOW 07-22-2012 10:00 AM

the svt can be a money pit as well you know... especially if bought used (only option now a days i know) expect to be on it monthly fixing or looking for minor things to be fixed that can add up to a big headache... im not saying it breaks down easily im just saying you have to always watchout for things.

Timing belt along with all the other components is a must, if youre not sure if it was done do it anyways! spending $600-$700 in preventive maint is better than spending $3000 in a new engine.

+60k is also in the range of a new clutch, 02 sensors, tie rods etc...

jkennedy 07-22-2012 10:36 AM

Any used car has potential to be a money pit. It all depends on how well it was taken care of. Any car will need proventative maintanence. When I got mine, the first thing I started doing was changed all fluids and everything. I would rather do it and know it was done then to assume the other guy did it. Also, since it is a sportier 6-speed car....some of the previous owners may drive them hard. In the end it is well worth it. There just is nothing quite like an svt focus.

LiciouzSVT 07-22-2012 10:47 AM

I have had a few other cars and both of the svts that I have owned have been far from money pits. In my old one the only thing that I had to do was the clutch and that wasn't until around 90k at the time. With this one I gave it a good tune up when I got it but it didn't need to be done I just did it because I like to take care of my cars. It is a great car with a decent aftermarket. It is a very fun to drive car with the twisty turns being my favorite part! It is no 1/4 monster but it makes me happy.

FLYLOW 07-22-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkennedy (Post 4270599)
There just is nothing quite like an svt focus.

[80?]

I can name a dozen other cars

C.Naz 07-23-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLOW (Post 4270644)
[80?]

hese

Where are the names?

Hempster 07-23-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLOW (Post 4270644)
[80?]

...and!

Droptoprx7 07-23-2012 07:39 PM

do a good check out of it before you buy. It about the miles where timing belts, clutches, fuel pumps, etc can start going bad and they can be expensive. as far as the price it seems high to me but might be worth around that depending on its condition. Performance wise you can see by googling its not a straight line car but it does take turns well and can be a fun car

*maintenance seems to brake or make this car so make sure its up to date and documented

TheJon 07-24-2012 01:25 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, im taking a look at it tomorrow as well as a Rsx Type S. Leaning on the focus though.