Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Dealer damage on new Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293008)

laned 07-17-2012 06:19 PM

Dealer damage on new Focus

So I've been in the process of buying a 2012 Ford Focus for a bit now and I've come to a point where any recommendations would be welcome.

To begin, after talking with several dealers for some time I decided to purchase a focus through a local dealer. So they found the car in the color I wanted and brought it in. Upon going to pick it up though, I pointed out that some of the options the dealer guaranteed would come with the vehicle were not with the vehicle. After talking to the sales manager for a bit they offered to locate a vehicle with the proper options, etc. and bring it in which I was fine with. After several days of waiting I was expecting to pick up the "new" focus today and I just received a call from the dealer that while filling the car at the gas station prior to me picking it up it was hit by another car causing a dent in the vehicle along with several scratches where it was hit. They've already offered to fix the vehicle and they most certainly will be, but what else should I be aware of with an issue like this? I know one of the first things that come to mind is possible vehicle issues down the road caused by the incident at the pump such as paint fade, etc. and possible operating issues if it was hit hard enough (I haven't been fully informed of the extent of the damage). Other possible complications could be warranty issues as well. Anyone go through any situation like this before? Any advice?

Thanks.

cbdallas 07-17-2012 06:53 PM

I'm guessing that it was a very light tap...probably amounting to a scuff and a few scratches while some moron was trying to negotiate a path out of the filling station.

Having said this...I'd be very hard pressed to buy a brand new car that's been cosmetically damaged. I have yet to encounter a repair job that matches the shine, depth & texture of the factory paint so that I can't see it in bright sunlight. Some body shops have gotten close, but I've always been able to tell a difference. That would make me very unhappy with a brand new car.

But that's just me. If this is something you can live with, go ahead with your plan to purchase, and haggle them down in price for their damaged goods. If you're going to buy a damaged car, you might as well get a good deal.

Custodian 07-17-2012 06:58 PM

If the dealer refuses to reduce the selling price due to damages to the vehicle... read about "diminished value" of a vehicle.

I got a nice chunk of change due to a collision to my 05 Colorado when it had 900 miles on the odo.

Elizabeth 07-17-2012 07:01 PM

Ahhh I would not buy a car i was not 100% happy with. So far the dealer has seemed OK. But they are kind of not really getting you what you want.
Then they find another one with damage.
(the story of the 'accident' may or may not be correct. i would not care if they lie, but then i do not trust folks much, especially car dealers.
You should go look at the damage BEFORE they fix it. so you know exactly what it was.
Them just saying we can fix this.. Well it may be way worse than 'just a few scratches' and then you have a 'new car' with serious damage.. and you are stuck. PLUS they should be discounting it a few thousand for having been damaged.. Why should YOU pay for a new car with damage? fixed ot not. Damage can NEVER be repaired to 'new' unless way more than any dealer is willing to pay would be spent.

Personally i would walk away.

laned 07-17-2012 07:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone.

I got off the phone from the dealer and got some more information about the accident. I was told that the Focus was parked at the fuel pump when another driver took the corner behind the focus to close and to fast and bumped into the rear bumper "lightly" (unfortunately that word is up for interpretation). The dealer did talk with the repair shop and they will be replacing the rear bumper/panel completely is my understanding; no bondo and paint blending, etc.

They did tell me however that the vehicle is still considered new even after the repairs because the title has yet to be transferred and accident took place on private property and so forth. That doesn't seem right to me that a vehicle that was in an accident can still be sold as new for the reasons above. Does anyone have any insight on this?

As for color not matching, luckily I have a very good eye for that and if things don't match up or look right I'll be able to tell. I guess another good thing is that I have yet to sign any paper work, etc. on the vehicle, so if I needed to walk away, should be simple and without a problem. I did how ever get what I think is a pretty good deal on the Focus and I'd like to keep that deal going and if I could save alittle more money because the incident assuming the vehicle is like new I wouldn't mind either.

Graves 07-17-2012 09:47 PM

I was a pre-delivery coordinator/inventory manager for about 10 years at a Ford dealer. Ordered cars, checked in the cars, and did all the trading of units. Many cars would come in damaged from the factory in transit. Worst was an 03 Cobra that got coated in hydraulic brake fluid. Paint was done and was sent to auction as is no warranty from what we were told. We had a few mechanics who wanted the motor and trans lol. It was common to replace bumpers on trucks a few times a month from lot damage. Scratches galore. Sad part is I bought my first Focus at a huge discount because I knew it was damage in hurricane charlie and none of the repairs showed up on carfax. you'd be amazed at the damage that happens on a large lot.

puma1552 07-17-2012 11:12 PM

I wouldn't buy it at all. The dealer can fix it and sell it as a new car, since the vehicle hasn't been titled; it's still considered new.

No way would I buy a car that I knew had lot damage. Whenever you buy a car off the lot, you should always ask if it has had any paintwork done on it already. They may lie, but if you ask they are supposed to disclose it.

Dark 007 07-18-2012 01:19 AM

Yes, I believe a dealership has the right to sell a car as "new" as long as the title isn't being released.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't buy it either. I believe a dealership should take care of a car (AT ALL COSTS!) Especially if it's a placed order.

I worked for a couple of car/body shops In the past, and trust me the color on the bumper (that will be replaced) will not match and or be accurate at 100% with the rest of the car. Unless it comes from an acctual Ford assembly plant, etc.

For your peace of mind, Just avoid it! And search for your ideal Focus, in other dealers if you should have to.

G-Man's SVTF 07-18-2012 01:34 AM

Just walk away for now. If you don't mind waiting to see the results of the repairs then I'm sure you have the patience to wait for another car just like it without the what if. A big discount should be offered if they really care about their customer service. That our they should have just told you the car is held up somewhere.

hardSVT 07-18-2012 01:55 AM

Get an st