Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Moar TQ Down Low? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292911)

wantz12 07-16-2012 06:43 PM

Moar TQ Down Low?
 
Anybody have any ideas how to bump up the torque down low? Excuse my noobness, but I'm just starting to learn about the performance stuff.

Anyways, I was thinking while driving through some twisties today that the K&N intake really shines above the 4.5K range, but down lower it seems to lack. Seeing as we only really get 4.5 - 6K before the car shifts, I'm wondering about mods to push more torque down low.

I know an exhaust would provide more power, but would it help with TQ as well?

JL330 07-16-2012 08:47 PM

Exhaust would probably shift your power band even higher. I don't know if it's doable, but on other cars I've driven, things like intake and tb spacers tend to shift the tq curve lower. The longer intake runners give you more low end and short runners give you more top end.

StockTalon 07-16-2012 08:50 PM

An equal length shorty will shift the curve to the left.

JL330 07-16-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StockTalon (Post 4262069)
An equal length shorty will shift the curve to the left.

Didn't know how those worked on these cars. They're a big waste of money in the mustang world.

StockTalon 07-16-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JL330 (Post 4262082)
Didn't know how those worked on these cars. They're a big waste of money in the mustang world.

They are and they aren't, it depends where you need the power. The Fox bodies I have had all fell on their face up top. Where, long tubes would make that drop in power less.

Shorties bring the curve to the left while, long tubes will bring it to the right. Primary size and over all design also affect how much gain is had and, how much to one side of the curve the power moves.

JL330 07-16-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StockTalon (Post 4262084)
They are and they aren't, it depends where you need the power. The Fox bodies I have had all fell on their face up top. Where, long tubes would make that drop in power less.

Shorties bring the curve to the left while, long tubes will bring it to the right. Primary size and over all design also affect how much gain is had and, how much to one side of the curve the power moves.

I've always worked on modulars that shine on the top end and suck down low. I can't wait to finish up my 5.4 project, it should make tons of low end and can still rev to around 8k if my intake doesn't max out, not a lot of testing on the boss 260 intakes.

StockTalon 07-16-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JL330 (Post 4262092)
I've always worked on modulars that shine on the top end and suck down low. I can't wait to finish up my 5.4 project, it should make tons of low end and can still rev to around 8k if my intake doesn't max out, not a lot of testing on the boss 260 intakes.

I went turbo 4v in my last Notch for a reason. [headbang]

JL330 07-16-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StockTalon (Post 4262096)
I went turbo 4v in my last Notch for a reason. [headbang]

I'm scared to turbo mine, I'm expecting over 400 rwhp n/a.

wantz12 07-17-2012 11:41 AM

Guys...thanks for all of this info. But I have absolutely NO idea what any of this means.

What's a shorty (besides a gangsta's girlfriend)?
What are tb spacers?

I've still got lots to learn [:)]

JL330 07-17-2012 12:01 PM

Tb = throttle body. It's just a spacer between the throttle body and intake, I honestly don't see it being too beneficial. Shorty header is an exhaust mod, it goes before your catback and bolts to the head. I haven't seen any testing done on these with our cars though. It's all speculation at this point, none of us really have a clue what these things are capable of, especially with stock internals. We'll see more go fast goodies when the warranties start expiring.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp