Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Need advice about the cheapest way to haul more arse (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292788)

n00btard 07-14-2012 07:57 PM

Need advice about the cheapest way to haul more arse

I've started another thread in the swap section, but the more I read about this --I need some ejimacation 'bout Focuses before I can make anything resembling an intelligent decision.

I'm driving a 2000 Zx3 that was entirely rebuilt this last week. I thought until this morning that it was rebuilt to factory specs, but I was incorrect. My mechanic has a thing for Focuses --and he upgraded the engine and transmission with performance parts while he was at it.

This is my daily driver, and I'm too dependent on this thing to be without it for long. It's highly likely I'll be in California for the next three years --CARB compliance is essential. I'm a broke arse student --I don't drink beer because Tequila is cheaper here style broke. I want to haul arse, but I don't want to waste a dime.

Here's what I am trying to decide between:

#1 If I want it, he's got an upgraded SVT engine I can swap into it --zero labor cost, but I buy parts. I thought this would be cheap, but the parts are elusive and get pricey. I live in a townhome on the Trinity river, so a parts car is NOT an option.

#2 Supercharge my newly rebuilt Zetec --not even interested in spending the $4k+ on a new one, so used or rebuilt.

#3 Turbocharge my newly rebuilt Zetec ----not even interested in spending the $4k+ on a new one, so used or rebuilt. CARB LEGAL REQUIRED. I want one that is quick spooling, and I don't want one that I have to screw with. Law school takes too much time for me to have to screw with my car.

#4 Tweaking the hell out of my current Zetec but staying N/A. Not sure what to even do here --headers, intake, catback, cams?

I need every bit of advice I can get on this. I'm a fish out of water on this --I've rebuilt an old AMC, but I don't have a clue about how to tune a Zetec Focus. This car appears to have a huge amount of potential, but I don't know how best to unleash it.

bringler26 07-14-2012 08:04 PM

Unfortunately you have to pay to play. If watch you can usually see used powerworks superchargers pop up for a few grand from time to time. N/A will cost a load of money but not get you much over 200hp

n00btard 07-14-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bringler26 (Post 4259286)
Unfortunately you have to pay to play. If watch you can usually see used powerworks superchargers pop up for a few grand from time to time. N/A will cost a load of money but not get you much over 200hp

Is a budget of two grand sufficient? That's all I can swing TBH.

Magus2727 07-14-2012 08:09 PM

For CARB your best bet is going to be SC... find a used Jackson, pro charger, or best would be power works. Used usually need a fair amount of extra parts. Fuel injectors, tune, etc. So expect to pay an extra $750 or so over the kit.

n00btard 07-14-2012 08:13 PM

What is a realistic budget to get this car tuned out?

Magus2727 07-14-2012 08:46 PM

NA or FI?

Its about $400 for the tuner and tune from Tom for a NA tune believe its $700 for FI. The great thing about going with Tom is that he can real time data log with you and tune it specifically for your car and any time you change it add anything he will then retune with you.

n00btard 07-14-2012 08:54 PM

How would I go about doing something in the price range that Mike_Mac did?

Quote:

i got my procharger, fmic, all the piping, mafia, injectors.. ect and tuning the running total on everything is about $2100
$2100 is doable for me.

bringler26 07-14-2012 09:12 PM

Search the BST area near the bottom of the forum and see what pops up used.

n00btard 07-14-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bringler26 (Post 4259370)
Search the BST area near the bottom of the forum and see what pops up used.

Thanks!

Magus2727 07-14-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00btard (Post 4259354)
How would I go about doing something in the price range that Mike_Mac did?

$2100 is doable for me.

You have to find someone who is willing to sell a kit like that which IMHO is worth about 3K for $2100... not sure how he did the tune, those don't usually transfer over as i think all tuners lock to the ECU so unless he bought it with the agreement to swap ECU's which present all sorts of other problems that are related to that....