Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   No Parking - Tail - License Tag Lights - Fuse blows (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292635)

geoffofks 07-12-2012 05:21 PM

No Parking - Tail - License Tag Lights - Fuse blows

Well, I have a 2005 Focus, ZX4 model. Same problems. No tail lights, no parking lights, no license tag lights and no instrument panel lights. All other lights are working as they should be.

Before I started, I disconnected the negative ground and began my search. All fuses except #30 - 10amp - parking lamps, were fine. Checked bulbs. License tag bulbs were both blown. Replaced them, all others, looked good. Checked for loose or corrosion. Everything looked good and connected well. No precipitation. Replaced #30 fuse. Reconnected negative ground. Started car, turned on headlight switch, and #30 blew. Checked all again, replaced #30, turned on the car and lights and boom. #30 blew again.

Don't know what to do at this point?
[bash]

geoffofks 07-12-2012 09:19 PM

[hatchet]

mikeeshaq 07-12-2012 10:11 PM

I cannot find my Ford Focus 2005 wiring manual but I found the Ford Focus 2000 wiring manual

The 10 Amp fuse goes to your light switch
After the light switch the line goes to the following places:
Two 7.5 Amp fuses that power up the front and rear lights. One 7.5 Amp fuse goes to the left lights the other goes to the right lights
I will tell you it is not those lines because a 7.5 Amp fuse will blow before a 10 Amp does. But it might be your worthwhile to check if some idiot did not replace those 7.5 Amp fuses with something larger.

What is it?
Well after the light switch the line also goes to the license plates lights and also to the Central Junction Box where it connects to the Central Timer Module. There are no other fuses so if there is a fault then the 10 Amp fuse blows

Do not ask for fuse numbers as there is a difference in the numbering between the years

My gut feeling is to disconnect the license plate line inside the car and see what happens

A ZX4 I think is a sedan. There have been MANY problems with wagon and hatchback wiring
Crawl inside your trunk and with a flashlight inspect the wiring very closely

If by some chance you replaced your radio with a non OEM and the wiring was cut then you are really SOL

geoffofks 07-13-2012 06:35 PM

4 door sedan. Everything on the car is original equipment except the usual stuff (tires, battery, wiper blades, brakes, etc.). I checked all the fuses using my service manual. Everything was correct! I checked the wiring for exposure, breaks, cracks, etc. Found nothing, not even a pinched area.

Will try the disconnect on the license plate line. But its on a common circuit with the tail lights I believe. Will get back after I try this one. Will hold off on replacing the switch. My gut is the line in the trunk too. But we'll see. Looks like I will be trunk crawling in the morning. Thanks.

GreySkorpion 07-13-2012 10:57 PM

Its a common cause on the hatchs to exibit this type of problem, and the problem almost always is the wiring from the car to the hatch, or in your case the trunk. Peel back the rubber boot covering the wire loom to the trunk and my best guess is you will find some broken wires, or some with cracked insulation that are shorting each other out. Tape each one up individually if just the insulation is cracked exposing the copper strands and you should be good to go.

sleepyboy 07-14-2012 12:26 AM

My guess would be your headlight switch or the Hazard switch (it controls our blinkers (for sure) and I think even the parking lights. Good luck with it and let us know what fixes it.

freemind 07-14-2012 01:27 AM

^This FTW

sailor 07-14-2012 09:37 AM

one other possibility is that the sockets for the license lamps can EASILY ground out where it sticks through the trunk lid.

On mine for example, the light assembly sticks through the plastic trim B4 also stricking through the steel trunk lid. The way they fit, if there is any distortion of the plastic the tabs for the bulb can easily contact the steel of the trunk lid.

Had this happen once, so I know from experience that it's possible.....

Luck!

GreySkorpion 07-14-2012 03:12 PM

Well 3 possibilities have been named, have any helped??

sleepyboy 07-14-2012 06:53 PM

I'd check on Sailors idea first since it's the cheapest. Hopefully the OP will let us know what fixed it so his problem may help others.