Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Just Installed two sets of PIAA Extreme White (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292209)

Dialed 07-07-2012 10:46 PM

Just Installed two sets of PIAA Extreme White

Put them on my low beam and my fogs. Just noticed how bloody hot the fogs are with these bulbs. Like, scalding hot. I'm a little worried about it, I don't want to cause damage.

They're PIAA XTreme White Plus (H11)

4000K / 55W -> 110W

I touched the outside for a split second and burned my finger and they'd been on for 8-10 minutes. So...

Magus2727 07-07-2012 11:19 PM

well when your driving there will be air flowing over it cooling them a bit... How much hotter than the stock bulbs would you say? Best way is to get a laser temp gun or thermal camera if you have access and measure the delta.

LiciouzSVT 07-08-2012 12:03 AM

Do you have pics with them on?

Dialed 07-08-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magus2727 (Post 4248300)
well when your driving there will be air flowing over it cooling them a bit... How much hotter than the stock bulbs would you say? Best way is to get a laser temp gun or thermal camera if you have access and measure the delta.

Yeah..... :P Ill see if I can get pics later.

Dialed 07-08-2012 11:56 PM

Here's pics. Sorry for quality.. crap phone and these were fairly rushed :P

http://imgur.com/a/Ocra4

Definitely white especially from a distance. Honestly, the OEM bulbs aren't bad, I just wanted a whiter shine for looks, which I got. It definitely looks way better from a distance. Ill try and get a side to side OEM/PIAA one of these days and if I do I will post it.

These were $110 Taxes in, shipped. (Two Pair)

whynotthinkwhynot 07-09-2012 04:54 AM

Eh..... 55w seems a bit powerful for factory fogs, that's high beam territory. You really should compare those with an infrared thermometer. Those aren't all that expensive, and IMO, are becoming a necessary tool for the box these days. So many things can be diagnosed with one of these, but would just be guessing otherwise.

If I'm wrong, it's ok. If I'm not, it will cost you, maybe as much as a new bumper if it gets too distorted, but at least new fog assemblies.

Joeywhat 07-09-2012 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4249672)
Eh..... 55w seems a bit powerful for factory fogs, that's high beam territory. You really should compare those with an infrared thermometer. Those aren't all that expensive, and IMO, are becoming a necessary tool for the box these days. So many things can be diagnosed with one of these, but would just be guessing otherwise.

If I'm wrong, it's ok. If I'm not, it will cost you, maybe as much as a new bumper if it gets too distorted, but at least new fog assemblies.

Plus, with that much light you have a much greater ability to blind other drivers, especially if it's wet or icy out. Some people's fog lights have blinded me worse then high-beams normally do.

Magus2727 07-09-2012 06:44 AM

Not sure if you can tilt the fogs but looks like your fogs are pointing straight out and even up a little... if you have another vehicle park the focus with the lights on (or have some one drive it) and then you drive so your driving towards it and driving with it. if it blinds you, then it will be blinding everyone else...

Dialed 07-09-2012 05:32 PM

Very first thing I did with two friends was make sure they weren't so bright as to blind incoming drivers. They really don't, or trust me I would have boxed them back up and sold them.

I also got curious last night and turned on the fogs on my friends Escape (OEM) to see how hot they get and to be honest they seem pretty hot too so I'm a little less worried about it now.

Regardless, I have a friend with an IR Thermometer and am visiting him later to check things out.

Dialed 10-11-2012 01:18 PM

Bumping this back up.

Wanted to let anyone curious know that the fogs didn't end up burning at all, I just being crazy.