Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Bluetooth question (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291322)

ralck 06-27-2012 11:34 AM

Bluetooth question

Forgive me if this was asked before, but I did a search and didn't find anything (only a few posts about MFT, but I don't have that).

So the question is, does Sync Gen 1 (what comes in the SE- the 4" screen) support AVRCP 1.3 (sending artist/track info over bluetooth)? I just upgraded my cell phone which should support this, but my Focus this morning still just said "bluetooth audio."

I would try to check on syncmyride, but the website is down for maintenance until this evening. I fail finding an answer via Google for this as well.

Any thoughts?

symbology 06-27-2012 12:13 PM

What phone do you have?

ralck 06-27-2012 12:20 PM

Palm Pre2 running webOS 2.2.4. According to the phone's device info, it does support AVRCP.

I found one PDF from Ford that seemed to show phone compatibility with MFT, and of course it doesn't list the Pre2, but any phone that supports the proper protocols should work (assuming the car supports it, which is what I'm trying to figure out).

Minchkin 06-27-2012 12:26 PM

Sync probably doesn't support it.

symbology 06-27-2012 12:27 PM

I'm not 100% certain if it does. Maybe somebody else can better answer your question. I think I read somewhere else that the bluetooth controller in the car is just a generic A2DP controller which let's it play nice with a plethora of devices.

ralck 06-27-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by symbology (Post 4233444)
I'm not 100% certain if it does. Maybe somebody else can better answer your question. I think I read somewhere else that the bluetooth controller in the car is just a generic A2DP controller which let's it play nice with a plethora of devices.

That would be disappointing if it was just A2DP... But I guess it is a selling point to get people to opt for the MFT which I have found documentation that shows it supports AVRCP 1.3.

Minchkin 06-27-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralck (Post 4233706)
That would be disappointing if it was just A2DP... But I guess it is a selling point to get people to opt for the MFT which I have found documentation that shows it supports AVRCP 1.3.

Would you mind posting the link for the documentation so others can take a look?

zehkaiser 06-28-2012 09:44 AM

I haven't been able to get Sync to recognize track information over BT. I have MFT, but I have to assume it uses the same BT module yours does.

ralck 06-28-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minchkin (Post 4234119)
Would you mind posting the link for the documentation so others can take a look?

This is the one PDF I found, which as far as I can tell, is really for MFT (Because of the Photo stuff and all that):
http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dea...N_iop_2_00.pdf

I thought I found somewhere else that specifically said MFT has AVRCP 1.3, but now I can't find that again today.

What I really don't understand is why there is such an issue with various phones. Bluetooth featuresets like AVRCP, MAP, A2DP are standards across the board and if the right versions are present, they should work regardless.

My phone supports MAP (I've tested it on other devices already), yet the car won't seem to forward my text messages either. I could honestly care less about this feature (I want to focus [pun intended] on driving when I drive).

Not only that, cars like the 2011 Fiesta get Applink and V3.2.2 (our latest version is 3.1.1). Why does an older car get more/newer features than we do?

This all just points to the fact that the Sync implementation sounds really screwed up. Maybe Jacyln, the Ford Sync Rep on the boards can chime in and clarify some of this stuff for us?

DaeHanL 06-28-2012 01:13 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I have an iPhone4S

Not trying to threat jack, but this got me thinking about other things I've always wondered. I have the same SE setup as the OP.
-Does anyone know how to switch it, so that the device controls the track, not the HU when attached via USB?
-Do you have to say/start bluetooth audio every single time you get in your car? Or is there a way the system can just pick up where you left off by default?

Do you have to ask it start playing Bluetooth Audio EVERY FRIGGIN TIME?!