Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Exhaust Wrap (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290617)

dyn085 06-18-2012 08:50 PM

Exhaust Wrap

So, I've been analyzing the intake/exhaust setup to look for more of the horsepowers. While I do have a some concepts already, I began to wonder about wrap. Heated exhaust flows at a higher velocity and produces a greater scavenging effect and would theoretically open up a fractional amount of power.

Understand that I am not looking for a massive increase. Simply some discussion on the theory by people who may have a bit more experience with it. I figure that when I do my exhaust, it would be relatively easy to wrap near pre-final install. Most of my route to work is smooth flowing, though I may cook a bit on the way home.

Pro's - A couple of ponies? Something cool to make your friend lay on the ground to look at?

Con's - High cost, minimal gain, frustrating to work with, high cabin temps

Discuss.[:)]

Edit: Assume a cost of $200 for a 6"x100' roll.

TORQUERULES 06-18-2012 08:58 PM

It's not worth it unless you are trying to keep heat off fragile underhood components that run close to your exhaust. I have seen wraps help in turbo applications (help turbo spool faster and keep underhood temps down). In an N/A application they have very minimal advantages except for what I mentioned in sentence #1.

IMHO, they are an antiquated crutch method compared to more modern coatings which are much much superior.

Wraps also greatly reduce the life of your exhaust components (stainless or not).

So, in my opinion, stay away from them. Stick with coatings.

dyn085 06-18-2012 09:02 PM

I forgot about the reduced component life, good call.

So, switching to coatings then, is there still pretty much minimal hp advantage in a NA car?

felixthecat 06-18-2012 09:03 PM

I'd pass on the wrap. There are better places to put your cashola.

dyn085 06-18-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4220550)

Segue for a second - I don't understand the difference between the gold stars and the grey stars above the avatar. I've searched for the info to no avail...

Power Surge 06-18-2012 09:05 PM

Keeping the heat in the pipe does promote better exhaust velocity, however that usually only applies to high velocity exhaust components like headers and turbo down pipes. I do not see any advantage of wrapping the actual exhaust piping on these cars.

dyn085 06-18-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Surge (Post 4220554)
Keeping the heat in the pipe does promote better exhaust velocity, however that usually only applies to high velocity exhaust components like headers and turbo down pipes. I do not see any advantage of wrapping the actual exhaust piping on these cars.

This is probably true, and I would imagine more true with a 2.5" exhaust...

My thought process is that if you can use the temp to speed up the larger open area that the high velocity components (actually the whole system) would flow smoother.

Probably just over-analyzed on my part.

dyn085 06-18-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4220550)

I'm sure this is correct. Just spit-balling some ideas that were floating in my head...[thumb]

Nashville SVT 06-18-2012 09:13 PM

I just recently wrapped my headers. I did not do it for HP gains or better but just so I could eliminate the heat shield and I think it looks cool.

dyn085 06-18-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashville SVT (Post 4220571)
I just recently wrapped my headers. I did not do it for HP gains or better but just so I could eliminate the heat shield and I think it looks cool.

How do you feel that this has affected your underhood temps?