Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   CAI vs k&n drop in (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290481)

JL330 06-17-2012 08:37 AM

CAI vs k&n drop in

Is the extra $200 or so you pay for an intake over the drop in filter really worth it? I miss the $50 eBay intakes from the good old days on my older mustangs. I made an intake for my 5.4 for about $12. The price for these steeda and k&n intakes just blows my mind.

dyn085 06-17-2012 09:06 AM

The nay-sayers disagree, but I dynoed my K&N drop in with a 11hp increase over the OEM filter. For $50, I'm pretty sure that this is what will stay in my car. Most of the other intakes all use the same small hole that the stock box uses, so outside of finding another way to introduce more cool air (venison mod), I think that ask the numbers retail be relatively similar.

Just my opinion.

TiStick 06-17-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JL330 (Post 4218216)
Is the extra $200 or so you pay for an intake over the drop in filter really worth it? I miss the $50 eBay intakes from the good old days on my older mustangs. I made an intake for my 5.4 for about $12. The price for these steeda and k&n intakes just blows my mind.

Until true tuning is available for these cars, I'm inclined to say the answer is "NO".

I'll be doing the newmission mod on a drop in K&N. dyn085 just dyno'd his 12 with 93octane and a K&N drop in. He base lined on an OEM filter before the K&N pulls. He shows impressive gains, about the same as the Steeda CAI, for just the price of a drop-in.

For exhaust, it'll either be the FRPP or Borla. I need to hear the FSWerks Stealth in person before I can add it to the list.

EDIT: damn you Duane!

dyn085 06-17-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitaniumStick (Post 4218236)

Lol, my bad. I was just taking a break from de-modding the wheels. Stillwaitong on my graphs for the dyno runs [:(!]

Off topic-did you gey the in-channels yet? I am thinking of pulling the trigger...

Power Surge 06-17-2012 09:19 AM

IMO, any intake kit that still reuses the stock MAF housing, has no power benefit over just a drop in filter. The stock housing has a big step down lip where the filter slips on, and that's the major restriction.

_RED_ 06-17-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Surge (Post 4218243)
IMO, any intake kit that still reuses the stock MAF housing, has no power benefit over just a drop in filter. The stock housing has a big step down lip where the filter slips on, and that's the major restriction.

Thank you!!!!! I've been saying the same thing in the k&n and Steeda's intake. For some reason people think the smoot tube after the MAF is more important then changing the MAF housing in steeda's kit

Power Surge 06-17-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDFOCZ (Post 4218264)
Thank you!!!!! I've been saying the same thing in the k&n and Steeda's intake. For some reason people think the smoot tube after the MAF is more important then changing the MAF housing in steeda's kit

I'm sure the smooth tube does a little, but air doesn't like to turn, and our filter to TB angles are horrible on this car.

I plan to remove the step down lip on my housing.

nosmokingbandit 06-17-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyn085 (Post 4218234)
The nay-sayers disagree, but I dynoed my K&N drop in with a 11hp increase over the OEM filter. For $50, I'm pretty sure that this is what will stay in my car. Most of the other intakes all use the same small hole that the stock box uses, so outside of finding another way to introduce more cool air (venison mod), I think that ask the numbers retail be relatively similar.

Just my opinion.

Is there any change in engine noise with the increased airflow in the K&N drop-in? I like how quiet my focus is, but i wouldnt mind a little more growl.

Power Surge 06-17-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosmokingbandit (Post 4218273)
Is there any change in engine noise with the increased airflow in the K&N drop-in? I like how quiet my focus is, but i wouldnt mind a little more growl.

There's no change in noise if you keep the air box lid.

JL330 06-17-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitaniumStick (Post 4218236)
Until true tuning is available for these cars, I'm inclined to say the answer is "NO".

I'll be doing the newmission mod on a drop in K&N. dyn085 just dyno'd his 12 with 93octane and a K&N drop in. He base lined on an OEM filter before the K&N pulls. He shows impressive gains, about the same as the Steeda CAI, for just the price of a drop-in.

For exhaust, it'll either be the FRPP or Borla. I need to hear the FSWerks Stealth in person before I can add it to the list.

What is this newmission mod? I may not even touch the exhaust, I like how quiet my car is and don't see where dropping 600 on exhaust would be a good decision with my tight budget right now. I just graduated to big boy status and have real bills for the first time in my life so I have to see how my budget is going to treat me over the next few months.