Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   The perfect phone mount (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289804)

slide file 06-08-2012 05:30 PM

The perfect phone mount
 
Thought FF might be interested in the phone mount I've been using. The placement is great and I can't get over how clever the design is. It covers a few buttons, but nothing that isn't already on the steering wheel. Rotates to portrait and landscape.

Mountek mt5000 if anyone is interested. Around $20.

http://distilleryimage1.instagram.co...380fe523_7.jpg

symbology 06-08-2012 05:31 PM

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

Here's a link if anybody is interested: http://www.mountek.com/

Altis 06-08-2012 06:54 PM

Looks quite functional! I never really have anywhere to put my phone but the cupholders. That's one thing I miss about my 8th gen Civic... so many cubbies.

On a side note, I find it interesting that the 4" screen actually says "Bluetooth Media Stream", whereas the 8" screen only says "BT Audio" [facepalm]

NickCornell 06-08-2012 07:02 PM

This is fantastic! I use my iPhone as my nav system and its pretty dangerous to set it in
My Lap and annoying to have it keep
Falling! Thank you a thousand times over, ordered

HammerStriker 06-08-2012 07:15 PM

It's nice, but perfect? Does it cover buttons that you want to get to?

If you want perfect, buy a phone case that comes with a hard belt clip (I use OtterBox), and mount it into a gap in the dash.

Here's mine...

http://imgur.com/a/HvZI5

breakspirit 06-08-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerStriker (Post 4205444)
It's nice, but perfect? Does it cover buttons that you want to get to?

If you want perfect, buy a phone case that comes with a hard belt clip (I use OtterBox), and mount it into a gap in the dash.

Here's mine...

http://imgur.com/a/HvZI5

What is the point of mounting your phone down there? Too low to be used as a GPS and you don't need to run any cables because you've got bluetooth.

HammerStriker 06-08-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakspirit (Post 4205528)
What is the point of mounting your phone down there? Too low to be used as a GPS and you don't need to run any cables because you've got bluetooth.

It's out of the way of everything, and you can still glance down and see whatever. I have Nav on the large display in the middle of my dash, why would you want a little phone screen for Nav?

breakspirit 06-08-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerStriker (Post 4205611)
It's out of the way of everything, and you can still glance down and see whatever. I have Nav on the large display in the middle of my dash, why would you want a little phone screen for Nav?

It's out of the way in your pocket. What do you want to glance down to see while you're driving other than GPS?

feta_mgp 06-08-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerStriker (Post 4205611)
It's out of the way of everything, and you can still glance down and see whatever. I have Nav on the large display in the middle of my dash, why would you want a little phone screen for Nav?

1. Nav on MFT unfortunately is very hit or miss and most people find it terrible to use.

2. Some people like myself didn't opt for the $800 Nav option with MFT because my $150 garmin works perfectly fine

3. Some people don't have MFT at all and therefore don't have the ability to use the 8" screen for Nav.

So there's 3 reasons you'd want a little phone screen for Nav. Not to mention many Garmins, TomToms, and Magellans only have a 3.5" screen (like the iPhone) or a bigger 5" screen (like some Android phones)

So... essentially the same thing. Don't knock on the guy for finding something cool. Looks like your phone is well out of the way for Nav and wouldn't work in his situation, not to mention any buttons it covers can either be accessed via the steering wheel or via voice commands with Sync.

Really cool find, OP, if I had MyFord with no Sync, I'd be all over it for my phone.

Sometimes I wish MFT was just a Pioneer App Radio instead of the hit or miss terribly programmed infotainment system it is. It's great when it works, but that's not always the case.

breakspirit 06-08-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feta_mgp (Post 4205662)
1. Nav on MFT unfortunately is very hit or miss and most people find it terrible to use.

2. Some people like myself didn't opt for the $800 Nav option with MFT because my $150 garmin works perfectly fine

3. Some people don't have MFT at all and therefore don't have the ability to use the 8" screen for Nav.

So there's 3 reasons you'd want a little phone screen for Nav. Not to mention many Garmins, TomToms, and Magellans only have a 3.5" screen (like the iPhone) or a bigger 5" screen (like some Android phones)

So... essentially the same thing. Don't knock on the guy for finding something cool. Looks like your phone is well out of the way for Nav and wouldn't work in his situation, not to mention any buttons it covers can either be accessed via the steering wheel or via voice commands with Sync.

Really cool find, OP, if I had MyFord with no Sync, I'd be all over it for my phone.

Sometimes I wish MFT was just a Pioneer App Radio instead of the hit or miss terribly programmed infotainment system it is. It's great when it works, but that's not always the case.

I'm not attacking you or anything, but I was amused that you said that the MFT nav is bad but you don't actually own it. I only bring it up because it's literally the best GPS I've ever used and I've owned many Garmins and iPhone apps over the years that were nowhere near as good. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just a bit of inconsistency. Maybe it just works particularly well where I live (st. louis)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.