Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Forced Induction (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Thunderbird turbo? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289550)

DHud838 06-05-2012 10:19 PM

Thunderbird turbo?

My buddy has two turbo chargers off a Ford Thunderbird. I was wondering if its possible to mount it on my zetec and what would I have to do to make it work? Also are there kits to mount this kind of turbo charger to a focus?

Focus112 06-05-2012 10:39 PM

Im sure you can make it work but it wont be cheap and it wont be easy. There are far better options out there.

DHud838 06-05-2012 10:42 PM

Im sure it would be alot cheaper then just buying a turbo and all the parts to put it in.

iminhell 06-05-2012 11:15 PM

The TC turbo is a T3 flange,,, same footprint as most any zetec turbo kit.

Yes you could use it, but I wouldn't. It doesn't flow that much and it's not nearly as efficient as newer designed turbo's.

Magus2727 06-05-2012 11:18 PM

^^^ not necessarily. You are going to have to do a lot custom fabrication and unless you have the tools, welders, and benders.

there are already fabricated parts for specific turbos.

But if you have the time, money, and motivation anything is possible.

DHud838 06-05-2012 11:20 PM

Im not looking to do any heavy engine work what so ever. I just want a turbo that will give me my max hp before doing engine modification. So probably only 10-15 psi ill be running. Maybe 200-230 hp.

iminhell 06-05-2012 11:26 PM

PSI does not equal power (really wish people would learn this).

Mass Flow equals power.
That takes into account CFM and AIT's. High CFM + High AIT = crappy Mass Flow vs lower AIT.
AIT's (at moderate pressures) will reflect the efficiency of the turbo. Low efficiency and it'll heat the air too much. That means you need a larger intercooler to chill the air; which lowers the response/spool.

You're looking for a turbo that flows around 400 CFM @ ~80%.

There's good reason a lot of the TC guys don't use the stock turbo (myself included).

Magus2727 06-05-2012 11:28 PM

stock internals I think most people run 10 psi max... might be better response in the FI section.

iminhell says that it has the same bolt flange as the T3 so you can ignore the "custom" stuff I mentioned although you will still need a tune and that right there will set you back $500-$700.

DHud838 06-05-2012 11:29 PM

How much Hp you think I will get with it Magus?

mikebontoft 06-05-2012 11:30 PM

give it a try, get the rest of the stuff and tune it. The turbo from those come off of a 2.3 ford, they are a compressor upgrade for my mazda's 12v sohc turbo engine so if anything, I know where you can sell them because people love to make a "Tbird f2t hybrid turbo"

It's a small turbo, slightly bigger than my stock one for that matter... it will spool early and not be of too much use but my question is.... is he just giving it to you or selling?