Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2002 SE Zetec serpentine belt (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289225)

treecarp 06-02-2012 01:03 AM

2002 SE Zetec serpentine belt

Working on a friend's 2002 Focus wagon, 2.0l Zetec engine. She had the serpentine belt replaced at a shop, but they didn't replace the belt tensioner. Friend said belt "just came off" one day. She drove about 600 miles on it, and luckily happened to be right around the corner from her house when she had the problem, so just drove the car home & parked it immediately. Upon investigation, I found the belt to be in perfect condition, but the tensioner pulley was completely missing, and the bearings on the assembly were about to fall out. Replaced the original factory tensioner assembly with an exact replica. Routed belt as per all the diagrams I've seen for this motor, and the belt comes up way short, with tensioner fully "slacked" (don't know the correct term). Consulted with parts store to make sure I had the correct belt, & they assured me it was correct. This belt is 83.5" long. The tensioner assembly can only be installed one way, so that can't be the reason for the belt coming up short. My question is, can any of the components (A/C, water pump, alternator, etc) in the drive belt route be bolted on in an incorrect spot, causing the belt route to be too long? Or any ideas on what else might be going on?

BC_ZX3 06-02-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treecarp (Post 4195248)
Replaced the original factory tensioner assembly with an exact replica.

Did you replace with an OEM Ford part? That could possibly be the problem.
Other than that, recheck the belt routing again; it's easy to get it wrong.
There should be no component in the belt routing that can be installed in any way but the correct one.

http://i49.tinypic.com/20hovls.gif

treecarp 06-02-2012 12:13 PM

Thanks BC. Definitely routed correctly, & I thought it was a long shot regarding the component bolting positions. Just didn't think it was possible that there could be that much difference between the OEM belts & Dayco. Will try another belt & let you know how it goes.

amc49 06-02-2012 06:42 PM

Try another maker's belt. I've seen more than one catalog screwup on zetec motors about belt length. They just can't seem to agree on length.

As someone else said, the other pulleys are pretty much where they go, none can be adjusted or bolted up incorrectly.

treecarp 06-03-2012 12:34 AM

Boy, Ford is very protective about specs for their parts, aren't they? Couldn't find dimensions/specs for Motorcraft belt ANYWHERE!! Guessed that correct belt must be 84.2", as the Motorcraft drive belt part number ended in 842. Then got a different brand from another auto parts store that was 84.2", not 83.5" (that was the Dayco belt's measurement). New belt installed perfectly, problem solved. Thanks for all the input, & hope this thread helps other Zetec owners replacing drive belts. By the way, the shop that worked on the car before me somehow managed to get the 83.5" belt on & my friend drove for 600 miles before the tensioner pulley gave up; I should have posted a pic of the horribly mangled thing!!

BC_ZX3 06-03-2012 01:19 PM

Thanks for posting your problem resolution. Glad you got it sorted out.

finalfantasy 03-31-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treecarp (Post 4196259)
Boy, Ford is very protective about specs for their parts, aren't they? Couldn't find dimensions/specs for Motorcraft belt ANYWHERE!! Guessed that correct belt must be 84.2", as the Motorcraft drive belt part number ended in 842. Then got a different brand from another auto parts store that was 84.2", not 83.5" (that was the Dayco belt's measurement). New belt installed perfectly, problem solved. Thanks for all the input, & hope this thread helps other Zetec owners replacing drive belts. By the way, the shop that worked on the car before me somehow managed to get the 83.5" belt on & my friend drove for 600 miles before the tensioner pulley gave up; I should have posted a pic of the horribly mangled thing!!

I also just pulled a 2120mm (~83.46 in) serpentine belt off my engine. Don't know how in Sam hell it got fit on there. Could barely read the part num but was a motorcraft belt too. I found this thread because I was also under the impression that JK6-842-A (for '01 SE DOHC w/ AC) was 84.2 in.

amc49 04-01-2013 12:50 AM

There is a small amount of distance that can show up one way or the other when/if the alt gets changed. Surprisingly few people know that you tap back out the alt boss inserts to allow the alt to fall all the way into its' slot fully. When they replace it just part of the way back in because they did not loosen up the mounts the overall belt requirement can change slightly.