Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   side exhaust ? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289035)

Albarry 05-30-2012 09:30 PM

side exhaust ?
 
I know I don't have side exhaust but am really wanting to fab some up, what do you guys think/ has anyone done this yet?

Dib12SE 05-30-2012 09:41 PM

I doubt anyone has done, or is planning to do anything like this. Noise would be the largest obstacle, and the fact that everyone will point at you and call you a ricer.

Dexter04 05-30-2012 09:47 PM

Side exhausts on a regular car aren't a good idea... exhaust gasses have to be discharged behind the passenger compartment for safety reasons. I believe this is also the law so you could get fined/towed at roadside.

frinesi2 05-30-2012 09:52 PM

Aesthetically I don't think the Focus has the right lines to pull it off cleanly - unless it was a wide thin oval exhaust. Doesn't really seem worth it. A pair of nicely tucked tips in the rear looks the best.

Focus112 05-30-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter04 (Post 4191800)
Side exhausts on a regular car aren't a good idea... exhaust gasses have to be discharged behind the passenger compartment for safety reasons. I believe this is also the law so you could get fined/towed at roadside.

Boss 302, SVT Lightning, Viper, just a few that have side exhausts stock

frinesi2 05-30-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Focus112 (Post 4191836)
Boss 302, SVT Lightning, Viper, just a few that have side exhausts stock

Side exhausts that exit behind the passenger compartment. So Dexter04 was half right.

Mclaren SLR is right behind the front wheel but I'm not sure if that car is legal in the U.S. anyway . . .

asting 05-30-2012 10:05 PM

I think you're confused my friend. This car can be peppy, but it is not meant for sidepipes...

Dracoheart 05-30-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frinesi2 (Post 4191841)
Side exhausts that exit behind the passenger compartment. So Dexter04 was half right.

Mclaren SLR is right behind the front wheel but I'm not sure if that car is legal in the U.S. anyway . . .

it is there are two driving around where i live. And yes most cars have it just as long as you have the cat in factory position and a muffler it is good. BUT some states do not allow it unless it is designed that way from the factory.

Dexter04 05-30-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dracoheart (Post 4191855)
it is there are two driving around where i live. And yes most cars have it just as long as you have the cat in factory position and a muffler it is good. BUT some states do not allow it unless it is designed that way from the factory.

And those who are allowed to produce side pipes from the factory that discharge adjacent to the passenger compartment must endure rigorous engineering challenges and testing to prove it isn't a safety hazard for those who occupy the interior.

In other words... side pipes on an SLR are ok. Side pipes on a focus... not so much.

turbo2300 05-30-2012 10:59 PM

You don't drive a Vw lol And the plastic side skirts won't appreciate it either


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp