Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   new TSB 12-5-5 for manual trans focii (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287716)

Rat Fink 05-13-2012 10:53 PM

new TSB 12-5-5 for manual trans focii

I'm going to be doing this update to mine tomorrow as I've noticed a few of the quirks this one is supposed to correct. Cheers

2.0L GDI AND MANUAL TRANSMISSION - CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENTS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/29/2012

Publication Date: May 8, 2012

FORD: 2012 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 12-1-4 to update the Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2012 Focus vehicles equipped with a 2.0L gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine, manual transmission and built on or before 2/29/2012 may exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F, P2877, P00C6, P0607, P0457 and/or P06B8 and may be accompanied by engine drivability concerns. Refer to the calibration content for additional calibration details.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 78.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
Reset the Oil Minder, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 413-01.
Previously Released Calibration Content

Previously released calibration content contained improvement actions and enhancements to address the following on vehicles equipped with a manual transmission:

Intermittent vehicle speed control inoperative.
Engine no-start with engine coolant temperature (ECT) open circuit faults.
Intermittent no-crank/no-start condition after performing normal Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test (PPT) procedures.
Intermittent false initialization to 21 C (70 F) on the instrument cluster's ambient temperature display upon engine start up.
A/C performance at idle and high engine coolant temperature readings in cold ambient temperatures below 0 C (32 F) on vehicles equipped with automatic grill shutters (AGS).
Oil change minder not lighting up in instrument panel cluster (IPC) when vehicle surpasses 10,000 miles.
Difficulty launching from a stop when not using the accelerator pedal.
Low speed tip-in/tip-out shuffle in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears
NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THE VEHICLE'S OIL MINDER HAS BEEN RESET AND TO FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED OIL CHANGE INTERVAL AS DESCRIBED IN THE OWNERS MANUAL.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120505A 2012 Focus 2.0L GDI And Manual Transmission: Check DTCs And Reprogram The PCM, Includes Time To Reset The Oil Change Minder (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECALEM 04

Kabigon 05-13-2012 11:44 PM

This TSB corresponds to the new FSA for automatic Focuses (new PCM calibration).

raptor1956 05-13-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabigon (Post 4163363)
This TSB corresponds to the new FSA for automatic Focuses (new PCM calibration).

Sounds like there is some overlap between the manual and automanual...

Brian

Altis 05-14-2012 08:00 AM

Perhaps I'm just thick today, but why would they reset the oil reminder computer when they're just reprogramming the PCM (yet again)? They aren't putting new oil in, are they?

suss6052 05-14-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altis (Post 4163673)
Perhaps I'm just thick today, but why would they reset the oil reminder computer when they're just reprogramming the PCM (yet again)? They aren't putting new oil in, are they?

I think that has to do with the earlier build cars where the initial programming or the previous update didn't actually enable the oil life monitor to alert the driver and the latest update is supposed to, but it needs to be reset first even though it won't coincide with an oil change as apart of the tsb, so the next service would have to be performed normally without it. Then it would need to be reset again at that time.

TboneZX3 05-14-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rat Fink (Post 4163281)
Difficulty launching from a stop when not using the accelerator pedal.
Low speed tip-in/tip-out shuffle in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears

There have been a couple of threads with MTX75 owners complaining about no power when taking off from a stop. These seemed to be random occurrences, but it looks like Ford may have found a solution.

The wording is strange there... How often do you launch a manual transmission vehicle from a stop without the accelerator pedal? It's not like the Focus has gobs of low-end torque and stump-puller gears.

Bimmer-Bob 05-14-2012 08:54 AM

How is this a "problem?": Difficulty launching from a stop when not using the accelerator pedal.

I would think it pretty much impossible to launch without using the throttle, lol.

BetaDnB 05-14-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TboneZX3 (Post 4163740)
There have been a couple of threads with MTX75 owners complaining about no power when taking off from a stop.

I'm one of those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob (Post 4163741)
How is this a "problem?": Difficulty launching from a stop when not using the accelerator pedal.

I would think it pretty much impossible to launch without using the throttle, lol.

You should be able to launch manual transmission cars without using the accelerator. That's the first thing you should learn how to do when learning to drive manual or a motorcycle so you know where the clutch engagement point is. I've also had to drive like this due to my left knee being immobilized.

Bimmer-Bob 05-14-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetaDnB (Post 4163896)
I'm one of those.

You should be able to launch manual transmission cars without using the accelerator. That's the first thing you should learn how to do when learning to drive manual or a motorcycle so you know where the clutch engagement point is. I've also had to drive like this due to my left knee being immobilized.

Uh, wrong. No throttle and the engine stalls. Pretty simple.

DaeHanL 05-14-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TboneZX3 (Post 4163740)
There have been a couple of threads with MTX75 owners complaining about no power when taking off from a stop.

I'm experiencing problems launching from a complete stop as well. Are we to contact the Dealership to have these mods made, or will they contact us? The lag at launch, the rpm drop shifting between 1st and 2nd gear (can't stay in power band), and the AC sucking at idle are my only complaints about my Focus.