Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   2012 Ford Focus K&N Intake kit Released. (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287255)

troy-knfilters 05-08-2012 12:02 PM

2012 Ford Focus K&N Intake kit Released.

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to let you guys know that K&N has released the kit that YOU helped us with!

Here is the information

K&N Part# 69-3517TS Typhoon Intake system.

Peak HP gain = 9.97 @ 5872rpm
Peak Torque gain = 10.44 @ 4428rpm

Dyno sheet HERE.

A few notes on the dyno, the vehicles that were tested were automatic and ran in second gear on our in-house dyno. More information on dyno testing at K&N can be found HERE.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, thank you once again focusfanatics.com members without you we couldn't have released this kit!

Troy. [ffrocks]

Duffman355 05-08-2012 12:38 PM

I think you have a broken focus. Stock the autos are putting out close to 150 bhp . . .
Edit: Just saw the disclaimer on the bottom of the dyno sheet. Atleast you were closer to stock than AEM who was dynoing at around 100 bhp [hihi]

But good to see another new system out on the market!

troy-knfilters 05-08-2012 12:42 PM

You have to remember Duffman355 - "Furthermore, there are several factors that can affect the SAE corrected horsepower values as measured by K&N or at any other dyno facility. Some of these factors are:"

• Consistency of test parameters
• Tire pressure
• Fuel octane rating
• Vehicle condition
• The atmospheric conditions (dyno correction factors can vary from engine electronic correction factors)

I have heard from other members that the number is 140ish but it sounds like the above factors are playing a big part in the numbers.

Troy.

darkangelism 05-08-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman355 (Post 4153751)
I think you have a broken focus. Stock the autos are putting out close to 150 bhp . . .

But good to see another new system out on the market!

The gains are what are more important. Still I think it is overpriced at $500($325 on sale) It needs to be under $300

amoosenamedhank 05-08-2012 12:49 PM

Don't compare results from multiple dynos. It's not really worth your time. As Troy has mentioned, there are just too many variables. A dyno should really only be used to compare your own results against previous setups.

This is all I would really expect from a CAI, so the tests results seem on par. The dyno sessions should have been ran pretty much back to back (with a cool over period for fairness) to yield the most accurate results.

MyThIc3LiTe 05-08-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkangelism (Post 4153774)
The gains are what are more important. Still I think it is overpriced at $500($325 on sale) It needs to be under $300

Will probably be cheaper elsewhere.

It is still under 1k for a intake and exhaust regardless of what you pick which isn't bad.

FocusBoy58 05-08-2012 12:51 PM

They use a acceleration calculator based on weight. So yes their number are off but those number even being off they are great! And their new system is sexy!

troy-knfilters 05-08-2012 12:59 PM

Dyno numbers can be a very touchy subject guys, "while K&N pays close attention to these many factors, and is patient while performing dyno tests, we are not in the position to scrutinize the many facilities that perform dynamometer testing for the general public."

Running a baseline (completely stock) dyno and then installing the kit and retesting at your dyno facility would be a good way to see what your individual gains would be.

Thanks again guys!

Troy. [cheers]

JayDeZ 05-08-2012 01:00 PM

One question. I noticed that on the back side of the intake tube there is what looks like a rubber grommet to mount a vacuum line. Is this indeed a rubber grommet or a screw in adaptor like on the typhoon for the 06-09 Fusion 3.0L?

My concern is that every intake I have owned in the past had gromets like this and they dry out and crack alowing air in after the MAF. Why wasn't a screw in type used with this intake?

BTW, those screw in plast adaptors on the Fusion intake break VERY easily... trust me, i know. But the metal fiting for most air tools are identical in size, shape, and thread but don't run the risk of breaking.

troy-knfilters 05-08-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayDeZ (Post 4153800)
One question. I noticed that on the back side of the intake tube there is what looks like a rubber grommet to mount a vacuum line. Is this indeed a rubber grommet or a screw in adaptor like on the typhoon for the 06-09 Fusion 3.0L?

My concern is that every intake I have owned in the past had gromets like this and they dry out and crack alowing air in after the MAF. Why wasn't a screw in type used with this intake?

BTW, those screw in plast adaptors on the Fusion intake break VERY easily... trust me, i know. But the metal fiting for most air tools are identical in size, shape, and thread but don't run the risk of breaking.

Hello JayDeZ! If you ever have an issue with our products PLEASE call in 1-800-858-3333 and speak to customer service, they will ship out the parts to you at NO CHARGE. The focus kit as well as the Fusion kit uses special connections for EVAP and PCV so we cannot use a screw in type connector with these applications.

Troy.