Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Alternative to Ford fuel pumps? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285955)

car46999 04-24-2012 08:51 PM

Alternative to Ford fuel pumps?

So I am working on a 2000 Ford Focus with the 2.0L Zetec.

Here is the info that I have gathered:

It will start with the help of fuel into the intake, will idle rough, then die if the gas pedal is pressed.

It is throwing a P1237 code, and the OBDII reports 0-6 psi of fuel pressure.

I checked for 12v out of the FPDM pins 10 and 3 (I think this is the fuel pump power ??), and had ~12v when key in on.

I do not hear the pump come on, and the previous owner reported random stalling.

My questions:
I think this is the original pump, has any one modified the old FDM to improve its performance? Walbro sells a pump, but my understanding is that it there is a design issue that causes issues...

Any after-market FDM as reliable as the OEM, but cost less?

mikebontoft 04-24-2012 08:57 PM

airtex.

car46999 04-24-2012 09:31 PM

a

Mike, Airtex been good for you? How many miles?

any one used one of these? CARTER Part # P75047M

Also: Extended Coverage Program 03N01 lists part number 1M5Z-9H307-AC as the "upgrade Ford FDM.

This is the FDM that has the springs and rods that provide pressure to hold to bottom of the tank?

If I were looking for a used pump, which years/ models have these pumps?

mikebontoft 04-24-2012 10:09 PM

Hey sorry for the short message earlier, was on my way out.

I'd just replace the pump instead of the module to be honest. I have both sold and been a professional installer of airtex pumps. Carter has been rebranded as Airtex, btw. If you're looking at Carter its probably through oreillys.

As for used pumps I don't like to but... damn it I'm using one I pulled from the junkyard on my boosted car (looked new, strainer hadn't touched gas.)

amc49 04-25-2012 02:12 AM

Why the questions about quality and then trying to score a USED part? Seems rather oxymoronic to me.

dirtbrown 04-25-2012 02:13 AM

I have a Carter Pump in my SVT

whynotthinkwhynot 04-25-2012 06:00 AM

Go check out our Vendor Deals, Group Buys, and Special Discounts thread for the latest Rock Auto discount code. It's only 5%, but it helps. Get your fuel pump from them, and compare the part number to one you'd purchase elsewhere just to double check. Typically you save $100 or so. I'd also get any other items you might need at the same time because their prices on spark plugs and windshield wipers are ridiculous: double plat plugs are like $3, and iridium is $5. Standard plugs are less than a dollar, fuel filters are $2, etc.

Just make sure that on the first page, where you enter the manufacturer, you uncheck all the European flags at the top of the list. That way you don't end up accidentally ordering a Euro part.

defektes 04-25-2012 02:25 PM

Ive had bad luck with aftermarket pumps in all my cars. I'd strongly suggest go with OEM, and toss a new fuel filter in and forget about it. You really don't want to have to take it all apart again.

car46999 04-25-2012 03:49 PM

pumps

Quote:

Originally Posted by amc49 (Post 4128201)
Why the questions about quality and then trying to score a USED part? Seems rather oxymoronic to me.

I would prefer a new Ford part over a new aftermarket, after reading that some people report issues with aftermarket FDMs. But $250 for a new Ford FDM is a bit ridiculous. ($250 is about 85% of what I paid for the car)
If I find a used Ford FDM for less than aftermarket, that is likely what I will buy.

iminhell 04-25-2012 04:29 PM

Well,
how long do you plan to keep the car?
how long do you expect a used pump to last? / how many will you have to replace per how long you wish to keep the car?
how long do the update pumps last?
cost/return?

I'm on an update pump. I have over 100K on it and not a single issue. I pull the pump at least once a year and replace the sock filter.

It's up to you what you're going to do, but IMO new Ford is the only reliable option.