Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Announce: MyFord Touch Bug Tracker (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282610)

pil__ 03-18-2012 10:26 PM

Announce: MyFord Touch Bug Tracker

If you've ever browsed the MFT threads on this forum, you'll have seen lots of bug reports, but it's nearly impossible to find any particular one. The MFT sticky thread is now over 80 pages long!

So, I'd like to introduce a new website to track software bugs in MFT:

www.outofmytouch.com

There are a few goals for this website:

1. Provide a searchable bug database to track real issues with MFT software.
2. Provide easily-accessible best practices for working around existing bugs
3. Publicly shame Ford into fixing the bugs

This website has been built with the same spirit as MFT. I loaded it, and it appears to work. Website bug reports are graciously accepted and sent to /dev/null for immediate processing.

There's not much to the site yet. I've pre-populated the bug database with my list of MFT 2.11 bugs. I had more, but I don't remember them.

Please add your bugs to the database. You can sign in with your Google Account or any OpenID provider. Ignore the fields that don't make sense. It's not my fault the software I'm using has default fields that can't be removed without manually changing the templates and database schema. I'll probably remove them at some point.

Target Version == Found In Version. Sorry.

Volunteers to write content for workarounds (e.g. a writeup with photos for pulling fuses) would be appreciated. If anyone actually uses this, we'll probably need volunteers to screen incoming bugs.

Happy tracking. If you think this is pointless, please let me know and I'll stop working on it. I'm already horribly depressed that I spent somewhere between 8 and 16 hours on this.

Update (3/19/2012): Added live bugcount to the hero box. Added dynamic list three most recently updated bugs to the front page along with a 'view all' button to catch people's attention.
Update (3/20/2012): Added CD category to component list. Added a reproducible field. Also disabled some unused fields. Still working on hiding them.

chaimav 03-19-2012 01:11 PM

I think its a great idea, and something Ford should have done. If it gets big enough, they will hopefully assign someone to it. I also recomend adding sections for which vehicle and and whether or not NAV is present.

Have you posted this at syncmyride.com?

I can also post at fordsyncforum.com if you like. I'm sure other members have accounts with other forums whose vehicles have MFT, and can post there.

pil__ 03-19-2012 02:57 PM

I've only posted it here so far. I was looking to do a short beta test period and see what feedback I get. So far, there's been only your feedback. Looking at the analytics, the bounce rate from the front page is currently at 70%. So, I'm probably going to add some more content and see if that helps. E.g. number of bugs tracked and a list of most recent bugs.

I'll see if I can make some improvements later today.

chaimav 03-19-2012 03:13 PM

Because we are not the developers of the system and I doubt Ford will *use* the system, I wonder if something more akin to a wiki would be more useful.

pil__ 03-19-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaimav (Post 4066377)
Because we are not the developers of the system and I doubt Ford will *use* the system, I wonder if something more akin to a wiki would be more useful.

The idea is really just to spurr Ford into action. Complaints in forums are easily lost and not really penetrable by the general public. There's too much noise. If we can collect some quantifiable data on bugs, it will be much harder for Ford to ignore, and much easier for the media to pick up on.

chaimav 03-19-2012 03:43 PM

Thats why I am all for the project, I was even considering starting a thread and keeping the initial post with a list of bugs by editing it. Now if only I had the time...
Bottom line, a single repository of all known issues is a good thing becuase
A) Will help spur Ford into action
B) Help Ford beta test

breakspirit 03-19-2012 08:23 PM

I loooooove this idea. Checking out the site now. It should be said that the bugs for old versions will be completely ignored by Ford and only bugs for the newest version should even be displayed. Work-arounds and such are useful for users who refuse to update, but they're going to be ignored by Ford.

Faygo Focus 03-19-2012 09:58 PM

I think its a good idea to collect issues and show metrics on frequency across a sample of users.

I also think its a good idea to approach it from the standpoint of assuming that Ford wants to know (as I think they do and have shown such interest by paying people to monitor fan/user sites such as this one) and will appreciate construction criticism backed by frequency numbers. Much better than the implication that some think they need to "make them stop ignoring..." because I don't think they want to ignore, but truly do want to mine the data and get the most frequently cited issues first. So, this should be win-win, not an unneeded "weapon."

TiPilot 03-19-2012 11:49 PM

This is excellent!

I'll browse thru it tomorrow and add in anything I've come across that isn't already logged.

pil__ 03-21-2012 04:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I think the site has been stable (miraculously), so feel free to post it elsewhere if you haven't already. I did notice a some traffic coming from another forum, but it was deep-linked to the bug tracker, so I've added a header to get back to the main page, along with a link to this forum post on the front page.

I don't have any other major changes I expect to make at the moment. I'd like to add voting to the issues so we can collect data on how many people are experiencing the issue, but this is not nearly as easy as I had hoped it would be.

Also, fwiw, I've seen 12 visits from Ford, so someone is watching...