Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Damaged Tumble flaps make clacking noises? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281808)

whynotthinkwhynot 03-09-2012 10:25 PM

Damaged Tumble flaps make clacking noises?

I read that one FF had issues with them, but I'm not certain that it could do that. I looked BRower64's thread about removing the tumble flaps, and I can see where it might wear out where the shaft meets the flap and cause it to be loose.

Anyway, that's my issue. The car sounds like the freaking valves are about to pop out. However, a mechanic's stethoscope reveals no strange sounds from the valve cover. I do get lots of clacking from the intake manifold. It could be injectors, which are also making noise, but it's hard to tell.

Has anyone else had problems like this?
140k miles.

Djzx3 03-09-2012 11:28 PM

Its got to be able to wear out. I've seen plenty stuck open or closed.

whynotthinkwhynot 03-10-2012 10:41 AM

Yeah, I'm searching for parts right now. It might be cheaper to just get a new manifold. I hate to delete them because that would reduce fuel economy. Then again, it would probably be right about where it is now- 28-29 since I'm sure those aren't working correctly.

Whatever it is, I have to arrange/purchase the parts so that I can perform the repair in as little time as possible. One of my problems is that there aren't any 05+ Focuses in junkyards around here. We have one yard that purchases everything Ford, and they only sell big parts like Engines/transmissions/body. No used intake manifold from there. I'll just have to keep an eye out in the BST forum.

felixthecat 03-10-2012 05:05 PM

Delete the IMRC you would need a tune

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4050755)
Yeah, I'm searching for parts right now. It might be cheaper to just get a new manifold. I hate to delete them because that would reduce fuel economy. Then again, it would probably be right about where it is now- 28-29 since I'm sure those aren't working correctly.

Whatever it is, I have to arrange/purchase the parts so that I can perform the repair in as little time as possible. One of my problems is that there aren't any 05+ Focuses in junkyards around here. We have one yard that purchases everything Ford, and they only sell big parts like Engines/transmissions/body. No used intake manifold from there. I'll just have to keep an eye out in the BST forum.

If you delete the IMRC you will need a tune. That would probably cheaper than a new manifold

whynotthinkwhynot 03-11-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4051079)
If you delete the IMRC you will need a tune. That would probably cheaper than a new manifold

And lose low end torque + fuel economy, so how much longer after that before it costs more to have gone the cheaper route?

I haven't checked dealers yet, but the parts might be available separately.

drjkel 03-11-2012 09:48 AM

Our friends across the pond have been dealing with this issue. Apparently it was worse on pre-2003 duratecs:

http://www.robertjenkins.co.uk/mondeo/index.php

Whether or not the later 'tecs are immune is unknown. A decided clicking noise from the manifold is the tell-tale.

whynotthinkwhynot 03-12-2012 06:53 AM

OH crap. Manifold replacement/TF removal soon........ Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I was hoping I'd have enough time to find another route besides replacement. Sheesh. Time to call Tousley Ford I suppose.

sporadic 03-12-2012 09:23 AM

I think I have a spare 2.0 duratec manifold that I'll never use if you're interested.

badazz2010focus 03-12-2012 09:26 AM

i keep forgetting that these pesky fords have tumble flaps LOL!

felixthecat 04-10-2012 10:40 AM

What'd you end up doing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4053274)
OH crap. Manifold replacement/TF removal soon........ Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I was hoping I'd have enough time to find another route besides replacement. Sheesh. Time to call Tousley Ford I suppose.

So Alex, what did you end up doing?