Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Weird issue with 2012 SE 5 speed, no power (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281609)

sr73177 03-07-2012 03:51 PM

Weird issue with 2012 SE 5 speed, no power

So I had the cruise set at 65 mph going down the highway yesterday. I went to give it some gas to pass someone and had no response. The car felt like it was fighting itself, no build up in rpms, no power at all. Tried to down shift into 4th, no response, car had no power, same when shifting into third. The closest thing I can describe is that it was like the car went into limp mode (safe mode) and was throwing timing. It felt like I was trying to accelerate with the e brake pulled up. The clutch was not slipping at all, rpms stayed steady, just no response/power when gas was pressed, didn't matter the gear. No check engine lights, no warning chimes, nothing at all. I pulled over shut it off, turned it back on and all was fine, car drives ok. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow for its first oil change (6400 miles). I spoke with them and they are going to check it out.

Have any of you heard of this or experienced something similar? Not overly concerned, car is well taken car of and is giving me 33 mph combination driving, but would like to know whats up.

Shane

Elizabeth 03-07-2012 04:06 PM

My manual tranny in cruise accelerates fine when I press on the gas pedal, even while in cruise mode.
I use cruise a LOT and have never had any issue with it.
Have no idea why yours is acting up.

Altis 03-07-2012 05:15 PM

Have you had the power control module update?

Not sure if that would help. Sometimes I get loss of power for a moment if I don't give enough gas while taking off.

sr73177 03-07-2012 05:43 PM

I have not had any updates done on the car as of yet.

Shane

yugoflip 03-07-2012 06:52 PM

I experienced the exact same thing while cruise control was engaged on the highway. When I restarted the car it was fine and has been fine ever since, probably been a month or so. Let me know if your dealer has anything to say

Altis 03-07-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr73177 (Post 4045898)
I have not had any updates done on the car as of yet.

Shane

I would notify your dealer so that it's on record. Have the PCM update done as well... I'm not too clear on precisely what the update addresses, but I think it has to do with random/odd power losses.

NCMXRACER127 03-07-2012 11:35 PM

This just happpened to me a few days ago 13000 miles on my car, was 8 hours into a 9 hour trip home never had any issues before. Had the pcm update for the recall a few months ago I pulled over and checked the car, did a system check everything came back ok restarted the car and everything seemed ok . Would like to know what they say about it.

FordService 03-08-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr73177 (Post 4045730)
So I had the cruise set at 65 mph going down the highway yesterday. I went to give it some gas to pass someone and had no response. The car felt like it was fighting itself, no build up in rpms, no power at all...I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow for its first oil change (6400 miles). I spoke with them and they are going to check it out...

Quote:

Originally Posted by yugoflip (Post 4046005)
I experienced the exact same thing while cruise control was engaged on the highway. When I restarted the car it was fine and has been fine ever since, probably been a month or so. Let me know if your dealer has anything to say

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCMXRACER127 (Post 4046615)
This just happpened to me a few days ago 13000 miles on my car, was 8 hours into a 9 hour trip home never had any issues before....

Hey sr73177, yugoflip & NCMXRACER127,

Cruising without cruise control is impossible, IMO. Send me a PM with VIN, current mileage, as well as your personal and dealer contact info, and I'll have the Customer Service Manager review your case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altis (Post 4046484)
I would notify your dealer so that it's on record. Have the PCM update done as well... I'm not too clear on precisely what the update addresses, but I think it has to do with random/odd power losses.

Hey Altis,

Thanks for the advice. A check up and documentation by the local Ford dealer is a great first step.

Take care!

Noemi

yugoflip 03-08-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService (Post 4047727)
Hey sr73177, yugoflip & NCMXRACER127,

Cruising without cruise control is impossible, IMO. Send me a PM with VIN, current mileage, as well as your personal and dealer contact info, and I'll have the Customer Service Manager review your case.

Noemi

Hey Noemi,

I was not cruising without cruise control. I had cruise control engaged at 110km/h or so and when i tried to accelerate and disengage it, it had no power and would not accelerate. It would barely go any faster, even when I got off the highway and tried lower gears. It took a restart of the car to correct. I also had the PCM update. I think it was before this occurred, but have to make sure. I will send you a PM with my info.

Thanks!

unclebrud 03-08-2012 09:03 PM

This scenario happened with my car as I was merging onto the highway (which I detailed in another thread), on the first day after having the ECU updated. That was this past Tuesday. It has driven fine the last two days. Seems to be a random issue....

Noemi, is there any fix on the horizon for this? I can foresee another ECU recall coming our way (in a few months)....