Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Any tips on Oxygen Sensor Heating circuit? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281278)

jmoryl 03-04-2012 09:57 AM

Any tips on Oxygen Sensor Heating circuit?

My SVT is throwing the P0135 and P0141 CEL codes, which is a fault in the O2 sensor heater for the front and rear sensors. Checking over the wiring, and the #18 fuse (under the hood), all looks good. Since I had a new front sensor (Ford) sitting around and the car has about 90k miles, I changed that sensor, expecting that would at least clear the P0135. No such luck. Any one here have a clue where to look next? Gotta get that light out long enough to pass my state inspection!

Thanks in advance.

1turbofocus 03-04-2012 10:16 AM

Need to see what the sensor is doing , see if a local member has a xcal and do a datalog , I will be glad to look it over for you

Tom

Grinder 03-04-2012 12:20 PM

If you have done a proper load test of the common power circuit and didn't see high resistance its likely a bad pcm. They rarely fail but the 02 heater circuits are tested by measuring the voltage drop across a resistor inside the pcm. This resistor bridges the control circuits for both heaters so when the pcm grounds one o2 current will flow from the opposite o2 and then through the resistor. Heat will often open this resistor and make the pcm believe both heater circuits have malfunctioned. Be careful if you ever buy a reman'd pcm - this is something that seems to miss their "checks" and I've seen them have this issue out of the box.

chada1208 03-04-2012 05:10 PM

I had the same thing happen to my last 02 svtf! It happened when I bottomed out and hit the exhausted! Now I have the same problem with my recent 02 svtf so what can I do to fix it? I am planning on putting an orp and full exhaust on it soon so I will not b running an 02 Senor!

Mike_Mac 03-04-2012 05:20 PM

^^^ you NEED the front O2.

jmoryl 03-04-2012 06:02 PM

Tom - thanks for the offer, but I won't be anywhere near NC soon.

Grinder - is there any simple way to check if the heaters are drawing the correct current (e.g. checking the voltage being supplied, measuring the resistance of the heater)? If one of the sensors is bad could it indicate a fault in the heater circuit for both - that seems like a possibility given what you say above. Cause I think the rear sensor might be dinged.

1turbofocus 03-04-2012 07:03 PM

I you have a ground and power to the plug in for the o2 then 99% chance your fine , there is a 99.99% that you dont have a bad PCM

You dont have to be clost to or in NC for me to help you just find a member with a xcal and I can help you with your problem , you could still have a bad o2 even new , Vac leak , broke wire and much more a datalog will help

Tom

JimmySVT170 03-05-2012 10:55 AM

I have the same issue, I hit a massive pothole and bottomed out, now I have this code. Tom, I have the predator tuner, how can I get you a datalog?

JimmySVT170 03-05-2012 10:55 AM

Just P0135 btw.

Grinder 03-05-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmoryl (Post 4040460)
Tom - thanks for the offer, but I won't be anywhere near NC soon.

Grinder - is there any simple way to check if the heaters are drawing the correct current (e.g. checking the voltage being supplied, measuring the resistance of the heater)? If one of the sensors is bad could it indicate a fault in the heater circuit for both - that seems like a possibility given what you say above. Cause I think the rear sensor might be dinged.

It's possible to meausure the current flow through the heaters but it's a tricky measurement to set up and the heaters are duty cycled controlled which will mess with your readings.

If both heater circuit codes are set, something common between the two sensors is your problem. The only thing common is the power circuit and the PCM. I agree, it's not likely the PCM but it is possible and this type of scenario is one of the common causes of their uncommon failure....

Are you SURE the fuse is good?