Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Automatic Trans prob(2.0 dura) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281241)

flamebird1313 03-03-2012 06:56 PM

Automatic Trans prob(2.0 dura)

BG~> 07 se auto with 2.0 duratec roughly 85k miles Trans was rebuilt once under warranty at 75k. warranty went out in january.

Last time they said a gear was burned out? (they didn't specify which, and idk anything about transmissions) So they rebuilt it, only reason I noticed it though was because it made a quiet grinding noise going from 2nd to 3rd.

Now when doing any speed of acceleration it takes forever to shift into 2nd and the rpm will sit at wherever it is in 1st. If I let off the gas to try and make it shift at any speed under 25 it will take about 5 seconds and then jump into 2nd very forcefully. Any speed though it takes 3 or 4+ seconds to shift up. Also before the first drive when it started happening, when I put it into drive it jumped forward like when you stall a manual.
There are no warning lights and it only happens between 1st and 2nd, every other shift is perfect.

I think I gave all relevant info, if there is something I may have missed please ask me and I will tell you.

I looked through older threads and didn't find any like this, if I missed something please leave me a link to that thread.

Thanks

flamebird1313 03-03-2012 07:20 PM

nobody? ... [mecry]

flamebird1313 03-04-2012 04:47 PM

It's kinda disappointing that nobody replied to this. Today I had to go to the store and it shifted perfectly every gear like it's supposed to. Keeping in mind it was much colder today than yesterday, does anybody know what could've happened and if it could happen again? Or was it just a rare, random problem?

Rat Fink 03-04-2012 06:49 PM

Delayed and harsh shifts can also be caused by things like throttle position sensors. In the old days, there was a throttle valve in the trans that increased "TV" pressure based on driver input (how hard they were on the gas). This offset governor pressure (which was responsible to open the various shift valves) and caused a delay in shifting when you were on the throttle (This is what caused the trans to shift at a higher rpm under heavy throttle as opposed to shifting earlier under light throttle).

In modern vehicles, the EPC solenoid is responsible for line pressure and is pulse-width modulated to provide boost as needed to the system (replaces the throttle valve in most modern applications). Input from the throttle position sensor tells the TCM how hard you are stepping on the gas pedal.

Honestly, its anybody's guess as to what is wrong with your trans without actually being there in person to test it. Personally, I would hook a line pressure gauge up to your trans and attempt to recreate the condition while monitoring the line pressure as well as monitoring a scantool for input from the TPS.

The harsh shift into drive, as well as hanging onto gears longer than normal tells me there could be something wrong in the "TV" circuit.

flamebird1313 03-04-2012 07:00 PM

Thank you very much [pray] I will look into this if it happens again

sjfishon 03-07-2012 01:42 PM

try a bottle of Lucas trans repair, i have used this many times, it will get in there and lube all the valves, 10,bucks at wal-mart, it will make the trans shift like new, thats if there is nothing mecanical wrong, like a broken part ect. good luck'''

flamebird1313 03-07-2012 04:00 PM

okay, thanks! [thumb]

TydlwavS 01-22-2013 07:47 PM

Out of curiousity, did you ever get this issue resolved? I see you traded the car.

I have some issue with my trans shifting right now, but research here leads me to believe its a shift solenoid.

whynotthinkwhynot 01-22-2013 07:53 PM

Start your own thread, and give us a good description of what is happening. Give us all the information you can- car, mileage, trans, etc. That's the best way to get advice on this forum.