Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Getting nice results with Scangauge II (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281211)

Visioned 03-03-2012 12:25 PM

Getting nice results with Scangauge II
 
I got my Scangauge II in yesterday, and let me say if you don't have one.. I highly recommend it. I have already improved 1mpg (city driving) in less than 2 hours of having it installed. I didn't think the thing would pay for itself like the company says but I believe now. It costs double than the Ultragauge but I didn't like the negatives on this forum about it draining battery, so I didn't take the chance.

Anyway, what I've learned is when you have a steady foot on a relatively smooth city highway without a lot of stopping, the car @ 40mph gets 48mpg average. I am going to test the highway portion today to see what the best speed above 50mph should be.

In the city:

Acceleration from a stop in first gear (auto) nets around 7mpg average.
Acceleration in 2nd gear usually averages 13-15mpg.
Acceleartion in 3rd will put it up to 25mpg.
And fourth gear will get you 30+ and long range without stops will easily get you 45+ mpg.

The thing really teaches you how to get the best mpg out of your car (since you are eyeballing it most of the time). I am hoping to up my city average to 35+ from 29.

Its super easy to program the x-gauge feature and I had no problems cycling through to get to where I want. I have not tried the tank trip feature because I am far away from another fillup.

The only downside is with the Focus OBDII cover, it doesn't snap on to the rest of the dash, its kind of attached to the dash and doesn't come off. I can live with it just hanging down as its not really in the way of much. If anyone has a better idea then I'm all for it.

Routing the Scangauge is easy if you put it right below your gas/temp gauge, you can simply stuff the remaining wire below the steering wheel. Anyway, I'll post more feedback on the highway mileage later on.

Bliky 03-05-2012 12:13 PM

I might actually be looking into getting one of these. It sounds like it almost coaches you on getting better gas mileage. My only gripe is I feel like the screen is too small. Of course, I'd like something with a bigger screen like the UltraGauge but I know it doesnt work for the focus.

focusnfuture 03-05-2012 12:27 PM

Can you take a pic of it installed in your car? I'd like to see how it looks installed. Thx

DougC 03-05-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bliky (Post 4041535)
....Of course, I'd like something with a bigger screen like the UltraGauge but I know it doesnt work for the focus.

I've had my Ultra-Gauge installed in my SE since I picked it up in August. It works just fine and hasn't caused me a single issue.

Bliky 03-05-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougC (Post 4041566)
I've had my Ultra-Gauge installed in my SE since I picked it up in August. It works just fine and hasn't caused me a single issue.

Really? I had read on both the UltraGauge website and on a topic here that it stays on even if the car is off and totally drains the battery of the car.

Here's the topic: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ht=ultra+gauge

DougC 03-05-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bliky (Post 4041575)
Really? I had read on both the UltraGauge website and on a topic here that it stays on even if the car is off and totally drains the battery of the car.

Here's the topic: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ht=ultra+gauge

I've read that thread and I have no idea what issue they are suffering from. All I can say is that my Ultra-Gauge has been hooked up to me Focus since mid-August and has been flawless. And yes, this inculdes having the vehicle sit for multiple days without being driven.

cobie56 03-05-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visioned (Post 4038849)
I got my Scangauge II in yesterday, and let me say if you don't have one.. I highly recommend it. I have already improved 1mpg (city driving) in less than 2 hours of having it installed. I didn't think the thing would pay for itself like the company says but I believe now. It costs double than the Ultragauge but I didn't like the negatives on this forum about it draining battery, so I didn't take the chance.

Anyway, what I've learned is when you have a steady foot on a relatively smooth city highway without a lot of stopping, the car @ 40mph gets 48mpg average. I am going to test the highway portion today to see what the best speed above 50mph should be.

In the city:

Acceleration from a stop in first gear (auto) nets around 7mpg average.
Acceleration in 2nd gear usually averages 13-15mpg.
Acceleartion in 3rd will put it up to 25mpg.
And fourth gear will get you 30+ and long range without stops will easily get you 45+ mpg.

The thing really teaches you how to get the best mpg out of your car (since you are eyeballing it most of the time). I am hoping to up my city average to 35+ from 29.

Its super easy to program the x-gauge feature and I had no problems cycling through to get to where I want. I have not tried the tank trip feature because I am far away from another fillup.

The only downside is with the Focus OBDII cover, it doesn't snap on to the rest of the dash, its kind of attached to the dash and doesn't come off. I can live with it just hanging down as its not really in the way of much. If anyone has a better idea then I'm all for it.

Routing the Scangauge is easy if you put it right below your gas/temp gauge, you can simply stuff the remaining wire below the steering wheel. Anyway, I'll post more feedback on the highway mileage later on.


i installed my scanguage BEHIND the obdII door and routed the wire up under the dash.. i then mounted w/ velcro , the scanguage atop the soft flexible steering wheel housing just under the center gauges. I can now close the obdII door and all looks nice and tidy and factory-ish.

SpinKix 03-06-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobie56 (Post 4041601)
i installed my scanguage BEHIND the obdII door and routed the wire up under the dash.. i then mounted w/ velcro , the scanguage atop the soft flexible steering wheel housing just under the center gauges. I can now close the obdII door and all looks nice and tidy and factory-ish.



I have tried two different cables, and both connectors are too large to allow the door to close when plugged into the OBDII plug.

Did you detach the factory cable from the back of the OBDII plug?

kam327 03-06-2012 03:34 PM

So what is the Focus's most economical speed with the DCT?

cobie56 03-06-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougC (Post 4041596)
I've read that thread and I have no idea what issue they are suffering from. All I can say is that my Ultra-Gauge has been hooked up to me Focus since mid-August and has been flawless. And yes, this inculdes having the vehicle sit for multiple days without being driven.

i have my scan gauge in my '12 sel since august and it never drains the battery and as i usually ride my bike to work, or walk, my car can go a week or more w/o using it.. As well, i've gone on vacation where the car sits in the garage for a month and NO battery drain at all.

This was the same situation w/ my '01 focus.. no battery problems.. scangauge goes to sleep a few seconds after the car's shut down.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.