Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Tires on 2012 Titanium 18" (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280925)

Robert1966 02-29-2012 06:54 AM

Tires on 2012 Titanium 18"

I'm thinking about purchasing a Focus in the Titanium model with the 18" tires, however, I checked on the Michelin website and it stated that the Pilot Sport 3 that come with the vehicle have a lifespan of around 30,000 km. So my question is would I be able to get the dealer to flip these tires for a high-performance all season tire? Any thoughts?

wilsonfocus86 02-29-2012 08:39 AM

As long as you don't drive like a nutter, I'm sure you can prolong the life of the "lifespan". I'm at 5000 mi and they still look brand new, (because I don't drive wild and crazy). To answer your question, that is something you would just have to straight up ask the dealer and find out. My grandpa wanted different wheels on his Flex way back when, and because 'he knew the dealer', they swapped them out. Now he's riding on 20" "chrome" bahah. Best of luck!

Robert1966 02-29-2012 08:45 AM

Thanks for the tip! See, I'm gonna have to buy winter tires as the Pilot's are pretty useless in the snow. As I'll be leasing the car for 4 years the last thing I want to do is have to buy a new set to replace the factory tires. However, I figure that by using the winters 5 months of the year it should prolong the lifespan of the Pilot's.

SydneyRoo 02-29-2012 12:28 PM

You're also in Toronto. You shouldn't be using the PS3s for at least 4-5 months of the year anyway. They are absolutely awful in the cold/snow and that's even written on a sticker in the door jamb stating such.
If you split the tire life between winters & summers you should be okay for them to last over your 4 yr lease.

ChibanaChosin 02-29-2012 03:33 PM

After using my PS3s from May 24th to about mid-November (and I drive about 33,000 miles a year in this car), the PS3s still looked brand new. Even the guy at Discount Tire said that when I asked them to check them as they were installing the winter wheels and tires last fall. Of course, 80% or so of my driving is just cruising on the expressway, which is probably pretty easy on tires. I do go fast on expressway ramps, which I've read can chew them up pretty well. I would just stick with the PS3s and look at replacing them with something else when they wear, if you wish.

I must say that they are the best tires I've ever owned on any vehicle. They were exceptional in the dry and every bit as good in very heavy rain. I love them. I am now the lucky owner of two sets of PS3s, since my first 2012 Focus was totaled while wearing the winter wheels and tires. My new 2012, also with the THP, came with 18" wheels and PS3s, so I now have two sets. Once I finally go through both, I'll have to find something else, because I won't want to spend $273 each on them. I'll miss 'em, though.

pasta 02-29-2012 06:19 PM

just ask dealer cant hurt

warneej 02-29-2012 06:48 PM

All season tires are terrible. Use these as they are amazing and have a dedicated set of winter tires. Done.

DrkKnight614 03-01-2012 11:13 PM

Posted via FF Mobile If I lived in toronto ir anywhere that far north, I would without a doubt have winter tires. Keep the pilots, get a winter wheel and tire set. And yea, using both should prolong the life of both sets.

Doug81 03-02-2012 08:41 AM

I'm at a little over 16,000 miles and my PS3's almost gone. I'll be buying tires within about 2 weeks to replace them.

BiggerBoat 03-02-2012 08:51 AM

Since it sounds like you will just be turning in the car at the end of the lease, it might be hard to justify buying a whole second set of wheels/tires. But, I think that is the only good way to deal with a Toronto winter. That is, even with an all-season tire, I'm skeptical of how well and 18"s are is going to do in winter on a small car. Personally, I would never buy a Focus with the 18"'s (in a winter climate) unless I planned to do the seasonal wheel/tie change. Ford says its a summer tire...I would call it a summer wheel also.