Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   SVT springs vs FRPP kit; comfort, ride & handling (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279970)

karmakc 02-17-2012 06:28 PM

SVT springs vs FRPP kit; comfort, ride & handling
 
Hi,
I just got my tax return and I want to put the $ into my car.

I've got a 2004 ZX3 with just over 50k miles :) and in many ways I find the suspension to be satisfactory. I happen to drive over a stretch of highway that is 20 miles long and is a twisty bumpy road, I love it!

The deal is that I'd like less body roll, and more control over the car through the corners. The current suspension is still good and probably will last me a good while yet. So at this time I'm contemplating my options.

The SVT 3000ZX3 package makes a lot of sense, I've driven SVT Foci in the past and loved the dynamics of the suspension and the BRAKES. I'll probably get to the brakes later on however, my focus is getting the right shoes (tires) and suspension.

So getting to the meat of the question: What is the difference between the FRPP and SVT suspension in terms of ride and handling on a zx3?

I know the FRPP is a larger drop, does that mean the ride will be harsher as well? Also, many people in the forums have indicated that the FRPP settles in to a 2" drop rather than the stated 1.5" drop.

Ideally, people who have had both the SVT and FRPP set ups are the qualified individuals I would like to hear from.

My aim is to remain on the 16" stock rims and shoe them with Continental DW's. Any thoughts on those tires would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks![loveff]

karmakc 02-18-2012 12:29 AM

bump for President's day weekend sales. please give me your opinions.

mainest 02-18-2012 01:40 AM

I tried the FRPP suspension on my '05 ST, and for the roads I regularly travel, it was too harsh. I replaced the FRPP with a stock SVT suspension from Steve @ Tousley. Perfect compromise between handling and comfort, together with Conti DWS on 17" ST200 rims, (and 24"rear/22"front sways) its perfection, at least for the ST, heavier than your ZX3. However, my '04 SVT, with stock suspension, is one level above the ST. Good luck.

Buhda420 02-18-2012 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainest (Post 4016268)
I tried the FRPP suspension on my '05 ST, and for the roads I regularly travel, it was too harsh. I replaced the FRPP with a stock SVT suspension from Steve @ Tousley. Perfect compromise between handling and comfort, together with Conti DWS on 17" ST200 rims, (and 24"rear/22"front sways) its perfection, at least for the ST, heavier than your ZX3. However, my '04 SVT, with stock suspension, is one level above the ST. Good luck.

Soo your basically telling him to go with svt....lol.... I'm driving a 2003 svt right now and had a stock 2000 zx3........ Overall I can corner better then I ever have in any car I owned...... That's including a 2008 civic........ But the only thing bad about my svt is the header rubs the ground in heavy dips and tires sometimes rub fenders........ so really I don't know if I have stock svt suspension or if it has been modified......

B3NN3TT 02-18-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buhda420 (Post 4016325)
Soo your basically telling him to go with svt....lol.... I'm driving a 2003 svt right now and had a stock 2000 zx3........ Overall I can corner better then I ever have in any car I owned...... That's including a 2008 civic........ But the only thing bad about my svt is the header rubs the ground in heavy dips and tires sometimes rub fenders........ so really I don't know if I have stock svt suspension or if it has been modified......

My header never hits, but the front tires will rub if I hit a dip with the wheels cut. Stock SVT suspension with new dampers.

felixthecat 02-18-2012 10:54 AM

Santa Cruz= grab the FRPP's kit=1.5'' & a set of Star Spec's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by karmakc (Post 4016203)
bump for President's day weekend sales. please give me your opinions.

Living in Santa Cruz, grab the FRPP's kit, you'll love it. I'd also do Dunlop's Direzza Sport Z1= Star Spec's, or for a little less cash, Hankook's Evo 12's. I use to race up & down 17.

1hotfocus 02-18-2012 11:11 AM

frpp kit is lower then svt. svt kit has a smoother ride. handling is better with the frpp. all in all, if you dont have crappy rodes get the frpp. easy as that.

felixthecat 02-18-2012 11:29 AM

Blow up & down Hi-way 1=awesome
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1hotfocus (Post 4016533)
frpp kit is lower then svt. svt kit has a smoother ride. handling is better with the frpp. all in all, if you dont have crappy rodes get the frpp. easy as that.

Look where he live's= Hi-way 1= awesome.

02svtf300 02-18-2012 12:19 PM

Wanting less body roll put thicker sway bars too...maybe off a svt

mac.mogul 02-18-2012 12:24 PM

SVT Kit comes with a SVT rear sway bar. You will enjoy having the stiffer sway bar much more than you would being lower to the ground.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.