Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Hidden Menu DTC's, What do they mean? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278111)

eyeballeater 01-25-2012 04:47 PM

Hidden Menu DTC's, What do they mean?

When I went to the hidden menu and scroll to the DTC page mine shows:

DTC 01 C140_00
DTC 02 0850_62

Any idea what these mean?

Now after my transmission update it says NO DTC, but I'm still kinda curious.

noahsfocus 01-25-2012 06:11 PM

How can I find the Hidden Menu? edit: The Test Mode menu? .. I see you must mean the DTC page in test mode.

Thanks

Deth-jeep 01-25-2012 08:09 PM

I'm all ears on this one too

st falcon 01-25-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noahsfocus (Post 3982240)
How can I find the Hidden Menu? edit: The Test Mode menu? .. I see you must mean the DTC page in test mode.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deth-jeep (Post 3982440)
I'm all ears on this one too

Hold down the right "ok" button on the steering wheel before starting the car, and for several seconds after starting the car, and they should pop up.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Rat Fink 01-25-2012 10:44 PM

Hmm, so they don't have the full DTC being displayed to you. (A full listed DTC is 5 characters....and DTCs shown in these newer vehicles are often 5 characters followed by 2 more as a descriptor).

I found a P0850:62, Desription: Park/Neutral Switch Input Circuit: Signal Compare Failure
Trigger Conditions: A continuous and on-demand DTC that sets if the IPC detects a discrepancy between the hardwired park detect input and the messaged transmission mode display actual input.

Honestly, this one seems it could set if there was a slight hickup in communications. If its not something that returns, I wouldn't even worry about it. Its quite common to see a handful of useless codes in memory when scanning a vehicle. To base diagnosis on some of these codes would be like walking in a field trying to find fly poop.

Can't find a C140 code....but did find a U0140:00. Maybe what looked like a "C" was a "0"?? In any case, if it was in fact U0140, its another communications code. The BCM may have been busy for 5 seconds and couldn't report to another module. These kinds of codes can set during a state of high traffic networking between modules. Since a lot of the modules in your car are multiplexed networks, several bits of info are sent along the same pair of wires between modules. Lets say you have "Module A" reporting to "Module B". it could be busy sending info even though another module C could be requesting info from it. If Module C doesn't get its info in time, it can set a communications fault. There may me nothing wrong with the network, or the modules, or the vehicle at all....in some conditions where networking gets busy, you could have a module "get pissy" and set a useless code in memory.

If you aren't noticing an actual fault with the vehicle, then I wouldn't worry about it.

eyeballeater 01-26-2012 04:53 AM

Thanks Rat, I just checked and its definitely C140_00. In any case I'm not worried, The car drives great and I don't really have complaints. I was more curious than anything. Have to admit that it is kinda nice being able to see DTC's without the need for a OBD2 scanner.

bobakman 01-26-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rat Fink (Post 3982707)
Hmm, so they don't have the full DTC being displayed to you. (A full listed DTC is 5 characters....and DTCs shown in these newer vehicles are often 5 characters followed by 2 more as a descriptor).

I found a P0850:62, Desription: Park/Neutral Switch Input Circuit: Signal Compare Failure
Trigger Conditions: A continuous and on-demand DTC that sets if the IPC detects a discrepancy between the hardwired park detect input and the messaged transmission mode display actual input.

Honestly, this one seems it could set if there was a slight hickup in communications. If its not something that returns, I wouldn't even worry about it. Its quite common to see a handful of useless codes in memory when scanning a vehicle. To base diagnosis on some of these codes would be like walking in a field trying to find fly poop.

Can't find a C140 code....but did find a U0140:00. Maybe what looked like a "C" was a "0"?? In any case, if it was in fact U0140, its another communications code. The BCM may have been busy for 5 seconds and couldn't report to another module. These kinds of codes can set during a state of high traffic networking between modules. Since a lot of the modules in your car are multiplexed networks, several bits of info are sent along the same pair of wires between modules. Lets say you have "Module A" reporting to "Module B". it could be busy sending info even though another module C could be requesting info from it. If Module C doesn't get its info in time, it can set a communications fault. There may me nothing wrong with the network, or the modules, or the vehicle at all....in some conditions where networking gets busy, you could have a module "get pissy" and set a useless code in memory.

If you aren't noticing an actual fault with the vehicle, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Great write up. I love your analogy about the fly poop.

noahsfocus 01-26-2012 11:02 AM

Would be nice to know what these codes stand for without having to ask Ford. Does anyone know where to find a list of DTC codes and explanations that will apply to the '12 Focus.

Mine has just one DTC 0852_62

Must be similar to the P0850:62 that Rat Fink found.

BetaDnB 01-26-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st falcon (Post 3982579)
Hold down the right "ok" button on the steering wheel before starting the car, and for several seconds after starting the car, and they should pop up.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Isn't it the left ok button? I don't think the car needs to start. I think it just needs to be switched to the on position. Not positive.

st falcon 01-26-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetaDnB (Post 3983282)
Isn't it the left ok button? I don't think the car needs to start. I think it just needs to be switched to the on position. Not positive.

I might be, I've only done it once like three months ago when I read about it on here. I'll have to try again to be sure. YOUR OTHER RIGHT LOL!!