Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Took the car in for rattling headliner... (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276396)

herbz 01-04-2012 10:27 AM

Took the car in for rattling headliner...

So I took my car yesterday in for this problem, where the headliner "glue" seemed to be coming loose and was rattling/vibrating at basically any speed from > 5 mph. I thought they would just remove it and reglue it and call it a day.

Dealer called me today and told me that there's a service notice out that affects my car in which the front springs cause the entire car to vibrate. They told me the part had been ordered and it would be done by tomorrow.

My gut feeling is the springs have nothing to do with it since the vehicle is not actually vibrating. It's just the headliner. I tried to express this to the guy but they are going to replace the front springs either way.

Either way I'll pick up the car tomorrow night and we will see about the headliner. If it's rattling I am not taking my car back, they will have to remove it and reglue it, just as I originally suspected.

I tried to search for this service bulletin but found nothing.

Rogerschro 01-04-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbz (Post 3951981)
So I took my car yesterday in for this problem, where the headliner "glue" seemed to be coming loose and was rattling/vibrating at basically any speed from > 5 mph. I thought they would just remove it and reglue it and call it a day.

Dealer called me today and told me that there's a service notice out that affects my car in which the front springs cause the entire car to vibrate. They told me the part had been ordered and it would be done by tomorrow.

My gut feeling is the springs have nothing to do with it since the vehicle is not actually vibrating. It's just the headliner. I tried to express this to the guy but they are going to replace the front springs either way.

Either way I'll pick up the car tomorrow night and we will see about the headliner. If it's rattling I am not taking my car back, they will have to remove it and reglue it, just as I originally suspected.

I tried to search for this service bulletin but found nothing.

If the headliner is vibrating that means the car is or it wouldn't be vibrating. BUT, if it still does after the fix, that would mean the vibration has loosened the headliner and it needs repaired too. Be glad they didn't just try to glue the headliner and send you on your way. I think they went to extra lengths to be sure your car was up to spec. and properly repaired rather than a band aide repair.

herbz 01-04-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerschro (Post 3952031)
If the headliner is vibrating that means the car is or it wouldn't be vibrating. BUT, if it still does after the fix, that would mean the vibration has loosened the headliner and it needs repaired too. Be glad they didn't just try to glue the headliner and send you on your way. I think they went to extra lengths to be sure your car was up to spec. and properly repaired rather than a band aide repair.

Oh, trust me I'm not upset about it. I am glad they are doing the repair since I quote "it affects your model car". But, I'm just confused since I thought it was just the headliner glue loosened and vibrating due to the natural vibrations of the engine and driving around/road imperfections.

Either way, for anyone with this problem, perhaps this thread will help them out.

noahsfocus 01-04-2012 12:18 PM

I would bet that you are correct ... the springs are not making your headliner rattle and more work on the headliner will have to be done. Everyone else who posted here about the rattles in headliner getting fixed never mentioned the springs getting replaced. Since you don't feel any abnormal vibrations then the springs are probably fine.

Whatever they want to do to isolate the problem can't hurt though I guess. Goodluck and post back your results! Thanks ... I also had a few rattles in the headliner especially around the moonroof but fixed them myself for now.

herbz 01-07-2012 01:00 PM

UPDATE: GOT MY CAR BACK. The problem was indeed the front springs causing the rattling headliner! Anyone that has this problem (I'm sure there are quite a few of you) this may solve your problem instead of having the headliner "re-glued". Bring it up to the dealer, Ford has a bulletin out about the issue!

I love my dealer.

dan50 01-07-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbz (Post 3956855)
UPDATE: GOT MY CAR BACK. The problem was indeed the front springs causing the rattling headliner! Anyone that has this problem (I'm sure there are quite a few of you) this may solve your problem instead of having the headliner "re-glued". Bring it up to the dealer, Ford has a bulletin out about the issue!

I love my dealer.

What is your car's build date? Thanks.

GapBoyPCS 01-07-2012 03:01 PM

I'm curious as well. The only thing I can reason is that the springs or the way the springs are installed might be sending vibrations throughout the car, and that it just happens to strike that magic frequency causing the rattle.

In some ways, I can see the correlation. I've found that it happens only certain times over certain road conditions. It's nothing structural -- just annoying at times.

Ghost71 01-07-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbz (Post 3956855)

I love my dealer.

What was wrong with the springs to cause that?

constantine 01-07-2012 05:23 PM

Herbz,

Do you notice a difference driving the car with the new springs on other than no more rattle?

herbz 01-07-2012 11:16 PM

Hey guys, I'm not exactly sure when my build date ws, how can you find that out? I know I got my car last June or July so sometime before then obviously.

I literally had no idea anything was even wrong with the springs. The car drives the exact same with the bad springs than it does with the good springs. I'm confused by it, but just glad that the vibe is gone.