Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275780)

Tiburon 12-25-2011 07:52 PM

2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding

I posted this in an old thread about a different transmission problem, but I want more people to hear this. Has anyone had or heard of a similar problem? Please watch this Youtube video. I have grinding that is most noticeable when shifting into 2nd, but is present in all gears, sometimes even when downshifting.

http://youtu.be/54_3_qF2xhQ

The dealer has updated the control unit, but that didn't fix it. They say that Ford has acknowledged a problem with some of these vehicles, but don't have a fix for it at this time. Thus, there is nothing they can do. I'm beginning to consider the lemon law.

FordService 12-27-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiburon (Post 3940997)
I posted this in an old thread about a different transmission problem, but I want more people to hear this. Has anyone had or heard of a similar problem? Please watch this Youtube video. I have grinding that is most noticeable when shifting into 2nd, but is present in all gears, sometimes even when downshifting.

http://youtu.be/54_3_qF2xhQ

The dealer has updated the control unit, but that didn't fix it. They say that Ford has acknowledged a problem with some of these vehicles, but don't have a fix for it at this time. Thus, there is nothing they can do. I'm beginning to consider the lemon law.

Hi Tiburon,

My name is Noemi and I am working alongside Natasha on the FocusFanatics forum. I've reviewed your case. Please PM me with the current mileage and brief history since your last dealer visit, so I can update your case to the regional Customer Service Manager.

Noemi

Tarzanalog 01-31-2012 11:44 AM

I have the exact same issue. (768mi.) Before I had the TSB update done yesterday the grinding noise was apparent 20% of the time... and it now happens 80% of the time and is more pronounced as well. I bought it 03JAN12 and it has a production date of 17OCT11. I left it at the dealer for the day today and will wait to see what they come up with and report back.

teamtrinity 01-31-2012 01:24 PM

Same issue! Oh no! :( Is there no official fix yet?

atlarch 01-31-2012 03:54 PM

Same Issue

I have the exact same issue. The transmission grinds when shifting into 2nd and to a lesser extent 4th gear. It does it between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm. It does it in both drive and sport, but does not do it when i choose the gears. Not sure what to make of it. I took it to the dealer and they ran a drive cycle and talked to Ford and was told nothing was wrong despite acknowledging the sound. They gave me some papers from Ford saying it was all part of clutch break in. I took it in at 1,500 miles and now have almost 2k and no change. I drove a manual for 15 years before getting this car and can say honestly that this is not just adjusting to the differences in the transmission.

FordService 02-01-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarzanalog (Post 3990031)
I have the exact same issue. (768mi.) Before I had the TSB update done yesterday the grinding noise was apparent 20% of the time... and it now happens 80% of the time and is more pronounced as well. I bought it 03JAN12 and it has a production date of 17OCT11. I left it at the dealer for the day today and will wait to see what they come up with and report back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamtrinity (Post 3990111)
Same issue! Oh no! :( Is there no official fix yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlarch (Post 3990316)
I have the exact same issue. The transmission grinds when shifting into 2nd and to a lesser extent 4th gear. It does it between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm. It does it in both drive and sport, but does not do it when i choose the gears. Not sure what to make of it. I took it to the dealer and they ran a drive cycle and talked to Ford and was told nothing was wrong despite acknowledging the sound. They gave me some papers from Ford saying it was all part of clutch break in. I took it in at 1,500 miles and now have almost 2k and no change. I drove a manual for 15 years before getting this car and can say honestly that this is not just adjusting to the differences in the transmission.

Good Morning Tarzanalog, teamtrinity, atlarch,

I would like to [welcome] you all to the forum!

My name is Noemi and I'm the residential Ford help on the Forum. I can escalate your concern to the regional Customer Service Manager, who will in turn contact you as well as your dealer to assure the issue is addressed properly. Please send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, your personal, and dealer contact info to begin the process.

Take care!

Noemi

Tarzanalog 02-01-2012 07:32 PM

Update: My dealership thinks they've found the culprit (to my grinding anyway). They said that there is a throwout bearing that is supposed to have an attached sleeve... that, in my case... is not attached. Being that we're talking about parts for a 2012 Focus here they had no idea when they would be able to get a replacement in it to get me back on the road... but I am hopeful that the problem will be solved within days and not weeks. [driving] Fingers crossed...

FYI to those of you with a similar issue as at least it's something for a tech. to look for...

I'll report back.

BTW - Thanks also to Noemi for her assistance and to Ford for having them stalk the forum.

FordService 02-02-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarzanalog (Post 3992228)
Update: My dealership thinks they've found the culprit (to my grinding anyway). They said that there is a throwout bearing that is supposed to have an attached sleeve... that, in my case... is not attached............
FYI to those of you with a similar issue as at least it's something for a tech. to look for...
BTW - Thanks also to Noemi for her assistance and to Ford for having them stalk the forum.

Morning Tarzanalog,

You're very welcome. We enjoy STALKING [}:)] the forum.
[joke]

Take care and keep me posted on the results.

Noemi

Tarzanalog 02-02-2012 11:55 AM

Update 2.0: Got a call from Ford's regional customer service manager today saying that he had spoken with my dealership, the bad throwout bearing "rattling around in there" would definitely have caused the observed grinding noise, that the bearing was en route, and that I'd likely have my Focus back in a day or two.

Kudos to Ford for being on top of my issue. As always, I'll report on whether or not the new bearing does the trick.[wrenchin]

FordService 02-02-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarzanalog (Post 3993099)
Update 2.0: Got a call from Ford's regional customer service manager today saying that he had spoken with my dealership, the bad throwout bearing "rattling around in there" would definitely have caused the observed grinding noise, that the bearing was en route, and that I'd likely have my Focus back in a day or two.
Kudos to Ford for being on top of my issue. As always, I'll report on whether or not the new bearing does the trick.[wrenchin]

SWEEEEETTT!!!!

Love to hear good news. Keep me posted.

Noemi