Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK2 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   LED Exterior Lighting Help (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275286)

PhillyPhocus 12-16-2011 05:32 PM

LED Exterior Lighting Help

So what would I need to do/ know to change my brake lights, back-up lights, front turn signals, and side markers to LED's? And if this is do-able, where is the best place to order these kind of LED's? Thanks for any help folks!

misfire 12-16-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyPhocus (Post 3931473)
So what would I need to do/ know to change my brake lights, back-up lights, front turn signals, and side markers to LED's? And if this is do-able, where is the best place to order these kind of LED's? Thanks for any help folks!

here is the WEBSITE i just got my led tag lights from. this link will take you to the bulbs i got. they dont have much there. most people use this WEBSITE

uh60james 12-16-2011 10:20 PM

I would go with the first link misfire posted for tag lights. There have been complaints about the bulbs from the second link flickering after being installed for some time, this is probably due the tag light sockets putting out around 14.5v. The 42 draft design bulbs are made to handle that higher voltage.

Check out his second link for your other exterior lights. They have a vehicle application guide where you just input your vehicle info and it will show you which bulbs fit but be sure to double check what it tells you. For the turn signals you will need to install load resistors or you will get the fast blink you get when one of your signals is out. All other lights should just be plug and play.

Kipp 12-16-2011 10:39 PM

also check out www.oznium.com they have been well used and liked by many on here and other forums.

to change them you will need to remove the headlights and taillights (not hard to do, follow instructions in owners manual for changing bulbs). i wouldn't bother with the front side markers as they have a lense over them and will be less noticable of a change. for the brake/turn lbulbs you will need a bulb that has leds on top and around the sides since that bulb mounts from the bottom facing up rather than aimed to the back like previous models.

PhillyPhocus 12-16-2011 11:58 PM

thanks for all the help guys, but what exactly is a load resistor, and how do I install it? Do they require extra wiring, or is it something I just plug into the bulb or socket? BTW i actually already ordered LED's for the tag lights from 42draftdesigns and they work great, and my interior and trunk bulbs came from superbrightleds.com and they work awesome too.

Sniper Focus 12-17-2011 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyPhocus (Post 3932015)
thanks for all the help guys, but what exactly is a load resistor, and how do I install it? Do they require extra wiring, or is it something I just plug into the bulb or socket? BTW i actually already ordered LED's for the tag lights from 42draftdesigns and they work great, and my interior and trunk bulbs came from superbrightleds.com and they work awesome too.

A load resistor simulates the draw of a filament bulb to fix the turnsignal hyperblink issue that LED bulbs have. Since LEDs draw little current the car thinks that a turnsignal bulb is blown and the resistor fixes that.

You just wire the load resistor inbetween the tunsignal/brake 12v wire to the ground wire or chassis ground. I got some Platinum 3157 tail light bulbs from V-Led's and some load resistors and I love them. I also have the 42 draftdesigns plate bulbs.

roswelltop 12-17-2011 03:37 AM

Member uh60james said "...Check out his (misfire's) second link for your other exterior lights. They have a vehicle application guide where you just input your vehicle info and it will show you which bulbs fit but be sure to double check what it tells you."

However, I did not see reference to the link--for the headlights, fogs, tails, etc.
Thanks guys.

PhillyPhocus 12-17-2011 05:56 AM

Awesome thank you, just 2 more questions... looking at the load resistors page of V-LED's, there's a few different types. Which one would I need for the amber front turn signals and rear brake/turn signals. And last question, probably a really dumb one... do I get red bulbs for the rear or super white. Just wasn't sure because it's in a red housing.

@roswelltop, just go to V-LEDS.com and click on the picture in the top left hand corner. That'll connect u to a reference guide.

roswelltop 12-17-2011 06:35 AM

Ross, thanks for the info.
Former resident of East Falls neighborhood of Philly here.

uh60james 12-17-2011 11:59 AM

If you still want to look at superbrightleds check this link roswelltop http://www.superbrightleds.com/vehic...d/focus/20/533