Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Something's wrong with my Cruise Control... (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275018)

DoomsdayFAN 12-12-2011 11:23 PM

Something's wrong with my Cruise Control...

I like to use my cruise control literally all the time. For every day I drive, I use it at least once. It's just a great little feature to have. Anyway, today while I was driving into town (identical to any other day) I got on the freeway and attempted to engage the cruise control (the CC light came on as it normally does) but it didn't work. The moment I let my foot off the pedal, the speed decreased (from 70mph to 55mph) and I was forced to press on the gas pedal to increase my speed back up. I tried to make it work like 14 times (to which the CC light came on every single time like normal) but every single time it never engaged and kicked in. As soon as I reached my exit and got to the first stop sign, I turned my car off for a few moments and just sat there. After I turned it back on and continued on to my destination, I tried again to engage the CC, but it just never worked.

Any idea what could be wrong or how I might fix this (short of taking it to the shop)? [:(]

This is the first time I've ever had a problem. [rant]

crice8 12-12-2011 11:35 PM

I am no expert by any means but it sounds to me like the cc is working up until the throttle body then the electrical mechanism there is faulty.

wilsonfocus86 12-12-2011 11:42 PM

Fuse? I has a CC fuse problem a while back with my old 2001.

KaylaKipp2 12-13-2011 02:28 AM

When I had a CC problem it was because my clutch spring had snapped and my pedal was still slightly engaged with the switch, I'd check there...but if the light comes on, it is definately other things.

slayer5912 12-15-2011 02:05 PM

I have the same problem with my focus. The dealership wants $90 to look at it.

TerryB 12-15-2011 03:01 PM

Some times it's as simple as the third brake light bulbs being out.

DoomsdayFAN 12-17-2011 10:49 PM

Any idea how expensive it could be to get fixed?

ah1f39 12-17-2011 11:08 PM

Check that the cable is still attached to the throttle body.

69Hcode 12-18-2011 12:54 AM

It it a manual? On my SVT the cruise control switch at the clutch pedal has come out a couple times.

alz focus 12-18-2011 05:54 AM

Give this a shot. I copied it from another post. It was how I figured out my cc problems.

The test is basically this: you're going to be turning the ignition key on and off repeatedly and then hitting the cruise control buttons quickly in a specific sequence, and then the cruise control light will blink repeatedly, and the number of blinks tells you where the fault is. It's easy to do once you get it sorted in your head and you won't mess anything up if you don't get it right the first time.

If it's a manual, don't depress the clutch. If it's an automatic leave it in park. First, turn the ignition to the accessory/run position but don't start it. Press and hold the CC off switch and then repeatedly turn the ignition from run to off and back to run again, you should do this 3 or 4 times. End this sequence with the ignition in the run position and then let go of the off switch, and you should see your CC light blink once, which means it's ready to run the self diagnostic. If it flashes 5 times at this point then it's a faulty speed control module, which is that servo I mentioned above. Quickly after the light blinks (like a second after), you then need to hit the other cruise control buttons in this order, and you will need to hit them fairly quickly for the test to proceed:

1. On
2. Resume
3. Coast
4. Set/accel

The CC light should blink once after each button you hit. Kind of take your time hitting the buttons and it's easier to keep track of the flashes, which is important at the end because you need to count the number of flashes that come after you hit "set". There won't be an immediate flash after you hit "set", there will be a slight delay, and then will come another short series of flashes. This next part is all verbatim (except for the parenthesis) from the Ford guide I'm translating here.

0 Flashes (no flash after last button is pushed): suspect circuitry or speed control steering wheel switches.
1 Flash: Static test passed (cruise control should work)
2 Flashes: BPP (brake pedal position) switch is damaged, circuit is damaged, or the brake or clutch pedal was applied during test.
3 Flashes: Brake deactivation switch is open or circuit is damaged.
4 Flashes: Indicates the speed signal circuit is open or damaged (wheel speed sensors, ETC)
5 Flashes: Suspect circuitry or module.