Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   DST Stalling the Car. Anyone Else Having a Problem? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274698)

Joey D 12-07-2011 10:56 PM

DST Stalling the Car. Anyone Else Having a Problem?

Yesterday I was stopped on a pretty tame hill at a stop light with two cars in front of me. The light turned green and we started to move, I gave the car a little gas but then the idiot in the front of the pack stopped for no reason and I slammed on my brakes from a very slow roll (we've all been there). The gearbox shuttered and then the car stalled. I was puzzled, put the car into neutral and it fired right back up and off I went.

Then tonight coming home from work I had to slam on the brakes again from a guy who wasn't looking and pulled out of a gas station as I was slowly accelerating away from a light. Once again the car shutter violently and stalled out.

Is this supposed to happen? I mean I know it's a manual that has an automatic shift program more or less, but I really don't think the car should stall.

I plan on taking the car into the dealer tomorrow (which I'm getting really tired of doing) and seeing if they can look at it.

I am slowly losing my love for this car quickly, which is a shame because when it's working I love the way it drives.

tmnCA 12-07-2011 11:07 PM

If it stalling, you have to re-start it? Or is it just sputtering, almost stalling? I wonder if it is a malfunction of the fuel-shutoff mechanism for impact and/or the gas saving function that cuts gas during deceleration being over-enthusiastic. I haven't had this problem but I don't know if I have had to really slam on the brakes yet.

Joey D 12-07-2011 11:08 PM

It's stalling and I have to restart it. I'm almost used to the almost stalling thing the trans does.

tmnCA 12-07-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey D (Post 3921170)
It's stalling and I have to restart it. I'm almost used to the almost stalling thing the trans does.

Definitely not normal - take it in!

JSR84 12-08-2011 12:13 AM

I've yet to have it stall on me however, I've been in the same situation were you touch the gas then need get off it quickly and the transmission freaks out. It usually happens to me in reverse.

KimberChick 12-08-2011 08:53 AM

Sounds exactly like what happens in a manual car if you come to a stop while in gear. It dies. You get ninja quick in traffic with slapping it into neutral with a stick when the idiots attack, lol.

(A dual-clutch setup shouldn't be doing this unless the clutches aren't disengaging fast enough...lots of other manufacturers use this type of auto with no issue)

PratoN 12-08-2011 05:05 PM

Depending on your build date, did you get (or need) the transmission update? I have had some sputters - but it's never killed my engine. Before my transmission update, the engine RPMs flared up past 3,000RPM when stopping and always felt weird. If your build date is on or before 8/12/2011 and you haven't gotten the transmission reprogram, I suggest you do.

2012silversel 12-08-2011 08:49 PM

The driveway to my office is on a curve, I started out into the street when a car came screaming around the curve and I had to hit the brakes fast. Nothing happened, no stalling or hesitation. Mine is an earlier build and I have not had the reprogramming work done.

Joey D 12-10-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PratoN (Post 3922037)
Depending on your build date, did you get (or need) the transmission update? I have had some sputters - but it's never killed my engine. Before my transmission update, the engine RPMs flared up past 3,000RPM when stopping and always felt weird. If your build date is on or before 8/12/2011 and you haven't gotten the transmission reprogram, I suggest you do.

Needed it and got it about a month ago. The update made the car far worse then it was prior to the update.

And I'm dropping my car off Monday night for them to keep it for a few days. They are giving me a loaner too, but apparently it counts towards my 14 free rental days, to which 3 are already gone. I miss MINI's customer service where you just got a car by default if you left your car for more then a day.

Joey D 12-13-2011 06:26 PM

I got my car back from the dealer today, apparently Ford said it was normal for the car to stall under quick braking. I some how do not buy that, I'll be calling their customer service line tomorrow to see if I can get a better answer.