Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2012 oil change message (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272231)

Fumey 11-04-2011 08:04 PM

2012 oil change message

Whats the longest some of you have gone before your change oil message has come on? The owners manual says it may be as long as 10k , depending on driving habits . I'm over that amount , mostly hiway miles , no notice yet , but I'm going to change oil anyway as this amount of time between oil changes makes me nervous . Dipstick says okay , just worried some oil viscosity sensor thingy may be malfunctioning....

mikeeshaq 11-04-2011 08:52 PM

I bought a TC [see left panel] new. Oil change interval is 7500 miles [you got to be kidding!]
A Ford mechanic once said to me, if you want that engine to last, change oil at 3000 miles. I need the TC to last to 500,000 miles!
At one point in the literature Ford says the TC can last up to 150,000 miles [at 7500 mile oil change] What do you think the engine is good for if the oil change is at 3000 miles?

Now if one gets a car and will dump it at 100,000 miles, alright go with recommended oil change interval

05focusST91 11-04-2011 09:00 PM

yeah but 10k is the cut off, if you saw what your oil looked like when its draining after 10k its not pretty, even in a new car on full syntec i wouldnt go over 5k, my st is almost at 80k now and i change it every 4000 since i do alot of stop and go

sailor 11-04-2011 09:58 PM

Oil is changed a LOT more than needed, EXCEPT for those who NEVER bother to even check the level....

As long as there is oil in the engine, it probably WON'T break because of an oil issue...

On the other hand, I got into the habit of fall & spring changes, just so it doesn't get forgotten - and a little extra TLC keeps the vehicles running indefinitely....

Luck!

sailor 11-04-2011 10:37 PM

Oil is changed a LOT more than needed, EXCEPT for those who NEVER bother to even check the level....

As long as there is oil in the engine, it probably WON'T break because of an oil issue...

On the other hand, I got into the habit of fall & spring changes, just so it doesn't get forgotten - and a little extra TLC keeps the vehicles running indefinitely....

Luck!

Chewie12 11-04-2011 10:53 PM

Depends what kind of oil your running I just switched to synthetic in my 12 so well see when I get to the 10+ marker.

csvt2060 11-05-2011 08:20 AM

We are coming to the conclusion the oil change monitor doesn't work on the 2012 Focus. There are multiple people over 10K miles with no warning, which is the max interval. I have 9400 miles with no warning. Problem is that the interval is so long and according to Ford it's varaible with miles, time elapsed, and use it's hard to diagnose why it's not working.

don627 11-05-2011 07:22 PM

There is no sensor its just an algorithm in the computer that tries to guess when the oil should be changed depending on ambient temps, engine temp, speed and other things like that. GM has used a similar system since the 1970's with no increase in oil related engine failures. However lately they have had timing chain issue with certain model year vehicles (chevy traverse is one) due to the computer letting the cars go too long before triggering a oil change light. They were issued a TSB to recalibrate the computer to disalllow this.

Fumey 11-07-2011 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csvt2060 (Post 3882736)
we are coming to the conclusion the oil change monitor doesn't work on the 2012 focus. There are multiple people over 10k miles with no warning, which is the max interval. I have 9400 miles with no warning. Problem is that the interval is so long and according to ford it's varaible with miles, time elapsed, and use it's hard to diagnose why it's not working.

arrrgh.

05focusST91 11-07-2011 05:47 AM

yeah in the fiesta/focus its pretty stupid plus people coming in think the wrench light is on -____- and leaving oil in for that many miles causes sludge build up, maybe not much but over time it will hurt the motor