Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   want to convert car into autox car!?!!? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272102)

sgtsmasher 11-03-2011 09:57 AM

want to convert car into autox car!?!!?

ok ive put some thought into turning the 01 zx3 foci into an autox car just cause i want to experience it and get more into the car scene....my question is the parts that i want to put on it as opposed to the ones i have on it would i be able to show up and be all set to race? the parts i currently have for performance and in general are as follows:

exterior:
nothing

interior:
completely removed all paneling
removed rear seats/rear restraints

engine:
cai
65mm tb
strut tower bar
soon svt header
and complete 3" full exhaust

now the parts i want to put on the car are as follows:

exterior:
full body kit
17x7.5 rims and tires

interior:
convert driver and pass seat into reclining rear seats
bolt in roll cage

engine:
cams
cam gears
intake mani

tranny:
light weight flywheel
stage 2 or 3 clutch
maybe limited slip diff

GodLovesUgly 11-03-2011 10:30 AM

to answer your question, yeah.. you will be able to show up and race with your current and future set up. hell, you'd be able to show up in race in just about anything. you don't need anything special to compete in an autocross event. you just need to make sure the car is safe for racing.
with all the mods you have listed (future and current) you will be in a pretty gnarly class because of the interior strip, roll cage, and transmission upgrades.

wrc_fan 11-03-2011 10:48 AM

Have you autox’d before? If not, I say go to one with your car as is and check it out, then make the decision of making future modifications to improve the performance of your car.

One of the features that makes autox affordable and accessible, is that it doesn’t require an huge investment in safety gear. All you need is a helmet, and a car that passes a tech inspection. Even then, most clubs offer ‘loaner’ helmets that you can borrow for your runs, so you just need to pass tech. For tech, just make sure all loose items are out of the car, your wheel bearings are decent, your battery is secured, the brake pedal is firm, and your throttle will snap shut without hanging/sticking. So a roll cage, etc. is not necessary.

Does the group you plan to run with use SCCA rules and classing?

Modifications to improve in autox generally follow the order of importance: Driver skill > Tires > Dampers > other suspension setup > power and lightness

And driver skill is the matter of getting out there and getting experience. Good luck!

tukaniSVT 11-03-2011 11:14 AM

^^ Agree ^^

Experience is definitely what you should be doing to decide on where to go and what do to on mods.

Hey guys ... from what I read, it seems he would be in the DSP group ... what do you think? Or maybe an STX class ...

-Ray-

GodLovesUgly 11-03-2011 11:17 AM

stripped interior is not allowed in STX.
if it were to be an SP class it would be FSP instead of DSP.
i i'm thinking more along the lines of SMF.. i don't really know though.

edit: btw, if you are planning on making this an autox only car, i'd think about getting different wheels.

wrc_fan 11-03-2011 01:37 PM

Removed interior beyond rear seats goes to EP.

tukaniSVT 11-03-2011 03:00 PM

^^ I see ^^

Sometimes the classes can throw people off.

So, sgtsmasher, I recommend you put back your rear seats and carpet, grab your stocks 15s (to start) or some nice light weight 15s and wrap them in some sticky tires (plenty of options here). That should get you going pretty nicely and be in a class you can be more competitive, once you get use to your first time out.

You will begin in a Rookie Class for your first few events.

And when you go ... Find a few people to ride in to get a feel of a car at speed around the course. Something that is close to your car specs ... like don't jump into a Mustang or Corvette, lol. Unless you just wanna feel the power for fun. That helped me plenty when I first started out.

-Ray-

tukaniSVT 11-03-2011 03:04 PM

Oh and going back over your list ... I would skip on the body kit. That's just added weight that will get beat up anyways.

-Ray-

sgtsmasher 11-03-2011 03:46 PM

Yea that prolly wont happen with the rear seats going back in i dont have the hardware or seats to do it or the patience either and as far as that goes also if all else fails i could just turn it into a sick street car

GodLovesUgly 11-03-2011 04:29 PM

we don't have rookie classes in our region, and the i'm pretty sure the idaho region doesn't either. so be prepared to run with the general crowd if need be.
i would just go with whatever you have on your car now, tires and all. you will learn so much more with out em'