Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Road Racing & Rally (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Track tires (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267691)

Kal-EL428 09-06-2011 07:46 PM

Track tires

I am finally looking to get a set of track tires this winter for next season.
What would be a good track only tire that wont break the bank? I only do 2-3 events per year and would like them to last at least 2-3 years, if possible.

I am open to used if anyone has hook ups?

msperber 09-06-2011 10:17 PM

What type of track events? HPDE's, auto x's, driver schools- if you have done a few then time to move up, but speed costs and rubber will wear out. Kumho makes two terrific tires as intermediate road race tires are great, azenia is also a good tire that should last, Dunlap also makes a good aggressive high performance track tire. Storage between events must also be part of the process, store like wine, in a dark cool place away from electrical motors and stuff in covered bags. Have fun and keep the shinny side up

Kal-EL428 09-07-2011 04:31 PM

They are just open track events at a 1.5 mi road course here in MI .
Any more specific info on the tires?? Size, model, ect…
I dont need the best tire out there, just something that will be better/ more fun than my all season michelin pilots

GodLovesUgly 09-07-2011 05:51 PM

Do you want R-comps?
if so i recommend R1s (bfg)
i run the 225/45/17s for lap battles (road track)

race tires aren't cheap, but they are worth every penny.

Kal-EL428 09-07-2011 07:20 PM

I dont know, do I want R comps?!?!
You arnt kidding!! They are quite expensive.
Are there any "summer" tires that might lean more at track use than road use?

GodLovesUgly 09-07-2011 08:17 PM

hankook RS3's
Dunlop Star Specs
Kumho XS

those are all sticky tires that would work fine and about half the price of R-comps.

Schroeder02 09-08-2011 07:40 AM

I use both Toyo RA1’s and the Dunlop Star Spec. I would say if you only have a few years driving experience and are still in the intermediate run group go with the Dunlop, you’ll get several years out of them. They will get how and lose some grip however once hot they stay consistent.
As for the RA1’s I love mine, however I hated them at first, I got a set unshaved and they were terrible. Once I wore off the tread and they became slick they are fantastic. My next set will be shaved. One recommendation is you go to a race tire, get 15” rims there are a few that will fit the svt, however you may need to grind down the caliper a little for them to clear. The 15” race tires have more choices available and tend to be a good bit cheaper. Remember once you go to a race tire you will have a hard time going back

Kal-EL428 09-08-2011 06:41 PM

Thanks guy!
I guess I will need to do some reading on which tire I will wabt to get.

I know I should search, but any thoughts on 15" wheels that fit a SVT?

Kal-EL428 09-09-2011 02:01 PM

A track buddy pointed me at a website that sell’s used Hoosiers R6’s that have at least 75% life left for $145 per tire, so I think I am going to lean towards that tire.
The price’s for 17” and 16” are the same. Here are the sizes available that I think would be my only options
225x50x16
225x40x17
225x45x17
I have not gotten a second set of wheels yet, so I could go either way (16” v. 17”). Which do you guys think would be best suited for a SVT?
Sorry for the noob questions

GodLovesUgly 09-09-2011 04:59 PM

out of the two, i'd go with 16s, but a smaller series tire if you can. it will help with the gearing of the car.