Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Speedometer Lighting (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267078)

pkdog 08-30-2011 02:57 PM

Speedometer Lighting

I am about to order a Titanium but my pet peeve is having a speedometer that doesn't stand out in daytime. Does the speedometer on the Titanium have sufficient lighting that it is clearly visible in daytime?

Thanks --

blackraven456 08-30-2011 03:05 PM

It's white with a blue dial....stood out fine to me. My only peeve is that you can't change the instrument lights to match the ambient lighting at night.

feta_mgp 08-30-2011 03:23 PM

never had any issues with vision during the day, even with the sun in my eyes. the instrument panel is sufficiently covered to shade the gauges.

Dgc333 08-30-2011 03:31 PM

The back ground is black and the numbers, scale and pointer are back lite. I find it quite bright and visible day or night.

pkdog 08-30-2011 03:50 PM

Sounds perfect, especially with back-lighting.

Thanks again --

cobie56 08-30-2011 04:45 PM

Imo ford did a poor job with the guages. They are not as well designed as they should be. Ford should consult vw to see how it should b done. Te binnacle should be rounder and higher as tall drivers have difficulty seeing it well. Also the guages should b angled up toward the driver more

nateyo 08-30-2011 05:15 PM

Visible, yes. Easy to read, not really. I like the gauge design but it's hard to glance down and realize exactly what speed you're doing when you first get the car. It's got some increments in BIG numbers and other in smaller ones and the km/h like almost inbetween so it's just kind of a pain sometimes. I've had the car for a week and a got a ticket yesterday doing 50 in a 35 (I'm coming from a 1996 stang with like no power and an automatic transmission, so that was part of the problem). It's surprisingly easy to go fast in this car and not realize it. Maybe that's just me, but yea it could be better.

Elizabeth 08-30-2011 05:53 PM

One of the first things i noted with the 2012 Focus is the speedo is small.
The space it is in could accomodate a larger dial for the readout. The MPH numbers are small and then tiny. the k even MORE shrivelled up.. Poor Canucks!.. and it is a hard thing to read.
Then MY big gripe is the aluminum trim on the steering wheel reflects sunlight, so right where i want to see the speedo, just below is this bright flash blinding me some.. making it even harder to read the speedo numbers.
I got used to the twenty MPH gap in speedo numbers from driving my SVT Contour for 12 years. So I am rapidly adapting to the Focus speedo.
Just i agree they could have done a little adjusting of the setup (which is nice enough) to make it better.
I plan on killing the reflective steering wheel trim with some acrylic paint (so it will come off OK if i change my mind, or decide on some other way to lessen the reflectiveness of the steering wheel trim.)
My SVT speedo was white, the one issue is twilight. At which point the speedo was basically invisible. The white face and the green lit-up numbers were the same intensity. So one could read NOTHING. that was only at dusk or dawn.. Otherwise the white speedo with dark numbers in day, lit night, was great.
The Focus Tach is perfect. Too bad the Speedo MPH numbers are NOT as good.
The steering wheel in itself is great. all around good job, 'cept those pesky reflections off the trim.

blackraven456 08-30-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 3802833)
One of the first things i noted with the 2012 Focus is the speedo is small.
The space it is in could accomodate a larger dial for the readout. The MPH numbers are small and then tiny. the k even MORE shrivelled up.. Poor Canucks!.. and it is a hard thing to read.
Then MY big gripe is the aluminum trim on the steering wheel reflects sunlight, so right where i want to see the speedo, just below is this bright flash blinding me some.. making it even harder to read the speedo numbers.
I got used to the twenty MPH gap in speedo numbers from driving my SVT Contour for 12 years. So I am rapidly adapting to the Focus speedo.
Just i agree they could have done a little adjusting of the setup (which is nice enough) to make it better.
I plan on killing the reflective steering wheel trim with some acrylic paint (so it will come off OK if i change my mind, or decide on some other way to lessen the reflectiveness of the steering wheel trim.)
My SVT speedo was white, the one issue is twilight. At which point the speedo was basically invisible. The white face and the green lit-up numbers were the same intensity. So one could read NOTHING. that was only at dusk or dawn.. Otherwise the white speedo with dark numbers in day, lit night, was great.
The Focus Tach is perfect. Too bad the Speedo MPH numbers are NOT as good.
The steering wheel in itself is great. all around good job, 'cept those pesky reflections off the trim.

In canada the speedo is reversed, so that its the mph that is small ;-) also, the speedo looks bigger then my current car so im more then happy with it.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using FF Mobile

willcraft 08-30-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 3802833)
O. The MPH numbers are small and then tiny. the k even MORE shrivelled up.. Poor Canucks!.. and it is a hard thing to read.

kph is the big one for us. They switch the two. mph is so tiny, even for my young eyes.

I've driven the car for 4 hours so far and I don't have any major complains about the speedo. I really like the lighting.