Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2012 Focus fuel gauge problem (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265917)

poisoncloud 08-16-2011 04:23 PM

2012 Focus fuel gauge problem
 
I noticed my fuel gauge was showing full when it should have been at a half tank.The dealer discovered an excess vacum in the gas tank which was distorting the plastic tank and causing the fuel gauge to act erratically.The culprit is a bad vacum purge solenoid in the engine compartment.There must be an issue with this part as it is nationally backordered. Hopefully it will be overnighted from Ford stock [driving]to my dealer so I can get my car back.

FordService 08-17-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poisoncloud (Post 3784577)
I noticed my fuel gauge was showing full when it should have been at a half tank.The dealer discovered an excess vacum in the gas tank which was distorting the plastic tank and causing the fuel gauge to act erratically.The culprit is a bad vacum purge solenoid in the engine compartment.There must be an issue with this part as it is nationally backordered. Hopefully it will be overnighted from Ford stock [driving]to my dealer so I can get my car back.

Hi poisoncloud,

I'm glad your dealer was able to accurately diagnose your Focus! Did they say how long the part would take to come in? If it takes more than a few days, PM me with the part number, as well as your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state, and I will see if it can be expedited.

~Natasha

poisoncloud 08-17-2011 03:52 PM

reply
 
It's still at the dealers.The new part did not fix the problem.[mecry]

poisoncloud 08-18-2011 02:10 PM

Ford = pita
 
Not a happy camper.
My 7 week old $22,000 2012 Focus is sitting at the dealership for yet a few more days because of a part availability issue.There shouldn't be any issues .That's why I bought a new car!

FordService 08-18-2011 03:38 PM

Hi poisoncloud,

I'm sure needing a repair on your new Focus must be discouraging. Please PM the information I requested above (the part number, as well as your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state) so I can look into expediting the part. Once your repair has been completed, you can return to driving your Focus confidently.

~Natasha

enigma1083 08-27-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poisoncloud (Post 3787457)
Not a happy camper.
My 7 week old $22,000 2012 Focus is sitting at the dealership for yet a few more days because of a part availability issue.There shouldn't be any issues .That's why I bought a new car!

Amen brother!! I have had the same problem. Mine has been in twice for the same issue kept a week both times. The damn thing has left me stranded twice. Taking photos of the display is a good idea. Thank God for the Lemon Law!!
I more failure by Ford and VW here I come. Ironically, I bought the ford because there was no VW dealer close and I thought taking to a dealer 70 miles away would be a hassle. Little did I know.

FordService 08-29-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigma1083 (Post 3799366)
Amen brother!! I have had the same problem. Mine has been in twice for the same issue kept a week both times. The damn thing has left me stranded twice. Taking photos of the display is a good idea. Thank God for the Lemon Law!!
I more failure by Ford and VW here I come. Ironically, I bought the ford because there was no VW dealer close and I thought taking to a dealer 70 miles away would be a hassle. Little did I know.

Hi enigma1083,

It can be disheartening when unexpected issues arise on a new vehicle. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will assist with your concerns.

~Natasha

enigma1083 08-30-2011 05:22 PM

Noooo

reminimjer 09-08-2011 07:35 AM

I have the same exact problem. Several times, my fuel gauge has read 'full' for the entire tank of gas. Had to watch my odometer to make sure I was at a reasonable distance traveled for the tank...
Then just last week, my fuel gauge seemed to be working properly - my tank read around 1/8, the gas light came on, then 1.5 miles down the road I ran out of gas. The 'distance until empty' indicator still said I had 45 miles in the tank while I was sitting on the side of the road with no gas.
Every other car I have ever heard of gives you minimum 40 miles remaining once the gas light comes on - not 1.5 miles. Thats more of a 'holy crap you have no gas left, pull over now or you will run out' light.
What a joke. Fuel gauges have been perfected for years, how can Ford mess up something so simple on a brand new car?
Have you had any luck getting it fixed??

reminimjer 09-09-2011 01:40 PM

Just talked to the dealer - they are going to replace my entire fuel tank assembly... Strange... They said that it was mis-manufactured and a high spot caused the float to work improperly...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp