Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK2 Interior Mods & Upgrades (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   LED lights (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265261)

dapaintballman89 08-08-2011 07:50 PM

LED lights
 
am i going to need any resistors when switching some interior lights to leds? im looking at doing my the inside lights from front to back and the liscence plate light. and maybe some exterior lights

mitchv 08-08-2011 11:42 PM

If by inside lights you mean the dome lights( the lights that illuminate upon opening your door) then no no resistors that's just a plug and play type thing fairly simple to do. As far as exterior lights and especially the 2 plate lights I really recommend you keep those stock depending on where you live the cops will pull you over left and right and write tickets for that

2011 SE 08-09-2011 12:57 AM

I agree with the above post except for the bit about the license plate lights. I've converted my dome/map/license plate lights to LEDs with no problems. The only thing you need to worry about is the fact that the license plate bulbs actually run at just over 14v, not 12v. This means that they will quickly destroy any 12v LEDs you put back there. My suggestion, as you will find elsewhere, is to use a set from 42draftdesigns. They make the license plate bulbs that can handle the voltage.

I bought a set from SuperBrightLEDs.com and they lasted about 4 weeks. The set I bought from 42draftdesigns is going on 6 months with no problems at all.

Pictures:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...e/IMG_0925.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...e/IMG_0924.jpg

There is also a thread somewhere that goes over the install. If you can find it, I added a bunch of pictures and a semi-walkthrough.

StangGTT 08-09-2011 08:52 AM

All LED's require resistors to run on 12v. However, most led retrofit bulbs have the resistor built in. If you plan on connecting raw LEDs, you'll need to add them yourself or you'll hear a nice fizzle and pop as the top of the led explodes. Lol

Also, the ENTIRE electrical system runs on 13.6-14.3 volts while running. If you only see 12v somewhere there is a problem. Fyi

mitchv 08-09-2011 09:17 AM

I was refering to it being illegal if he did collors besides white.

2011 SE 06-14-2012 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngfish (Post 4213862)
This means that they will quickly destroy any 12v LEDs you put back there. My suggestion, as you will find elsewhere, is to use a set from 42draftdesigns.

Thanks for the direct quote!

CREWZIN 07-22-2012 07:22 PM

Added a strip of LED's to the front since the 11 Focus didn't come with DRL's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...s/DSCF0005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...DSCF0007-1.jpg

blade08 02-24-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREWZIN (Post 4271245)
Added a strip of LED's to the front since the 11 Focus didn't come with DRL's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...s/DSCF0005.jpg
That looks clean!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...DSCF0007-1.jpg


Are your license plate lights still running well?






Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011 SE (Post 3774944)
I agree with the above post except for the bit about the license plate lights. I've converted my dome/map/license plate lights to LEDs with no problems. The only thing you need to worry about is the fact that the license plate bulbs actually run at just over 14v, not 12v. This means that they will quickly destroy any 12v LEDs you put back there. My suggestion, as you will find elsewhere, is to use a set from 42draftdesigns. They make the license plate bulbs that can handle the voltage.

I bought a set from SuperBrightLEDs.com and they lasted about 4 weeks. The set I bought from 42draftdesigns is going on 6 months with no problems at all.

Pictures:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...e/IMG_0925.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...e/IMG_0924.jpg

There is also a thread somewhere that goes over the install. If you can find it, I added a bunch of pictures and a semi-walkthrough.

Are the led license plate bulbs still running?

Sent from my LG-P999 using FF Mobile

crice8 03-21-2013 11:33 AM

I also had the 42draftdesigns license plate bulbs. Mine have worked great for almost 2 years now. 1 of mine needs to be replaced but it is due to my bass firing toward the trunk before I sealed off my system. I can hit it and it comes on but I would rather not get pulled over for it being out sometime and me not knowing lol

blade08 03-21-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crice8 (Post 4647269)
I also had the 42draftdesigns license plate bulbs. Mine have worked great for almost 2 years now. 1 of mine needs to be replaced but it is due to my bass firing toward the trunk before I sealed off my system. I can hit it and it comes on but I would rather not get pulled over for it being out sometime and me not knowing lol

Mine are brand new and sometimes I have to tap on it to? Is the bulb faulty? Or is it just not getting the right contact?

Sent from my LG-P999 using FF Mobile


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.