Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Focus Tuning Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Memory limit for LiveLink? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265031)

iminhell 08-06-2011 03:37 AM

Memory limit for LiveLink?

Trying to figure out why my car died while logging (the car is fine).

Was logging on my way home and would have been about an hour long log. I'm almost home and doing a 3rd/4th gear WOT pull. Car dies. I'm thinking MF'er, just snapped the timing belt, step the clutch in, let it out and the car's back running. That was weird.
Logging stopped but it looks like I caught about where it died ... and everything looks normal. Was 3,764.09 seconds into a log, so about 62 minutes.

I'm trying to figure out if the log data is stored in the ECU or on my laptop, to rule out something like lack of memory which would kill processor speed.
Or if it's something else, like loosing the CKP signal ... which feels like the same thing, and I've had that happen twice before.

Tell you what though, was scary as shit. 6k and car dies. Heart just stops and panic ensues.

sleepyboy 08-06-2011 03:45 AM

^^I'd have a heart attack also lol. I doubt the log is store in the ECU, it must be stored on the laptop or the X3......or at least I'm pretty sure it is.

iminhell 08-06-2011 03:57 AM

That's what I'd think too, but I want to be sure.

sleepyboy 08-06-2011 04:05 AM

I don't see how the ECU could have enough memory to record at all?

1turbofocus 08-06-2011 07:47 AM

Stored on the xcal , the more things you record the shorter the log time , the more upper case vs lower case you record shortens it more

Tom

Blivit 08-06-2011 08:05 AM

If you are logging with livelink it is stored on your pc and not the device. When using livelink the device is simply a pass through medium.

If you are logging without livelink and just using the device then it is stored on the device.

It is never stored on your ecu.

iminhell 08-06-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1turbofocus (Post 3771516)
Stored on the xcal , the more things you record the shorter the log time , the more upper case vs lower case you record shortens it more

Tom

Yup, knew that. The uppercase PID's are a higher priority than lowercase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blivit (Post 3771528)
If you are logging with livelink it is stored on your pc and not the device. When using livelink the device is simply a pass through medium.

If you are logging without livelink and just using the device then it is stored on the device.

It is never stored on your ecu.

That's what I figured.

Thinking about this again, it couldn't have been loosing CKP signal. That wouldn't have stopped the logging process. So I must have lost power to the ECU, connection to the DLC or something like that. I'll have to do some probing and see what I find.

1turbofocus 08-06-2011 06:17 PM

I dont know if its a higher priority as much as upper case does a higher sample rate

I have seen the xcal hooked to a Focus MANY times where ALL hands on the dash sweep over and back which tells me the xcal some how has something to do with a loss of power to the ECU or at least the dash , this has only happened on these cars when logging with an xcal

Tom

sleepyboy 08-06-2011 09:24 PM

Anytime I've had a cut out or the gauges make a sweep it's been the power wire going from the alternator to the starter then the battery. You may want to check that wire. If it's not making good contact it can cause the problem you experienced. Hopfully you won't be chasing down that gremlin too long lol

iminhell 08-07-2011 02:43 AM

Didn't do anything abnormal tonight.
Only thing I can think of is my power wire hit the intake and grounded out. It's a tight fit but everything tight and doesn't move. Maybe a little water got back there, I can see that completing the circuit.
Regardless I'm writing it off as a fluke and I'll have to devise some type of rubber shield just in case.

BTW, all the main power wires in the car have been redone and aren't run as they are factory. Battery is rear mounted also.
Pretty much I'm the only one who can figure the car out because not much is factory or in the factory location.