Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Drag Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Traction (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262137)

bespurcell 07-02-2011 06:01 PM

Traction

I have probs with wheel hop on hard launches. What do you guys do to solve this prob? I've seen the Lakewood traction bars are these any good? Is there anything else I can do to help with this prob? I'm fixing to be running nitrous and would really like to be able to get off the line good. I know I need drag slicks I just want to solve the wheel hop problem. Do the poly lca bushings help much?

Roushturboedzx3 07-02-2011 08:14 PM

Yes Lakewood trac bars work. Polly bushings also help. But slicks will also help get rid of wheel hop

bespurcell 07-02-2011 08:44 PM

Thank you. I had no idea slicks would help with wheel hop. What have you done to your car for traction off the line besides tires?

focusmaniaczx3 07-03-2011 07:35 AM

all the poly bushings you can think of. definitely poly control arm bushings are a must.tires obviously. if you dont want to go to a full slick just yet then look into some BFG G-force drag radials. its basically a street legal slick. they are very good tires and for the record only need a very brief hazing through the water box to get them heated up. heat them up too much and you will get little grease pits in the tires which will make you blow the tires off on launch every time.
lakewood traction bars and a good controlled launch that pre-loads the suspension before launch will help alot too. this is how i pre-load and launch myself. ive netted 1.9 second 60ft times on regular crap brand street tires with this method and very rarely get wheel hop

when you stage and the lights are about to come down, pull the e-brake.
start giving it some gas and get it up to your launch rpm, 2-step helps ALOT here.
when the first light comes on to start on its way down start slipping the clutch.
keep the e-brake locked
slip the clutch to the point where it is just about to drag the back tires.
when the time comes, release the e-brake and goose it.

this will cause the ass end of the car to squat before you actually take off and will make the front raise up a bit. it will reduce the amount of energy lost by being spent to compress the suspension in the rear when you launch and will also help reduce wheel hop.

do NOT start slipping the clutch too soon. try to slip the clutch for as short a period as possible. otherwise you could seriously overheat the clutch. this will cause you to wear it out really fast and or literally explode the clutch. you dont wanna do that, trust me. the clutch is almost directly lined up with the driver seat just so you know. ive been launching like this for years but i only slip the clutch for a maximum of 2-2.5 seconds before launch.

bespurcell 07-03-2011 09:22 AM

Thank you for help. Rep added

AllOutZX2 07-05-2011 01:26 PM

Motor Mounts / Transmission Mounts that limit forward or reward motion will mostly eliminate wheel hop. You may also want to pay attention to what air pressure you are running on your tires. A good rule of thumb is to start at 25psi on street tires and go down as needed. I would try those before going to traction bars and slicks. If you have the money though to spend on the items mentioned then go for it.

bespurcell 07-05-2011 05:41 PM

I have the poly lower rear motor mount bushings. I'm going to have a 75 shot of nitrous so, I'm pretty sure I'll need slicks to get off the line.

DoomsdayFAN 02-20-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bespurcell (Post 3727023)
I have probs with wheel hop on hard launches. What do you guys do to solve this prob? I've seen the Lakewood traction bars are these any good? Is there anything else I can do to help with this prob? I'm fixing to be running nitrous and would really like to be able to get off the line good. I know I need drag slicks I just want to solve the wheel hop problem. Do the poly lca bushings help much?

Do the Lakewood Traction bars work well with coilovers?

Roushturboedzx3 02-20-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomsdayFAN (Post 4019696)
Do the Lakewood Traction bars work well with coilovers?

They work well on my car

daveyboy 02-28-2012 09:27 AM

Dont for get about a good set of shocks. stiffer springs will help too