Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261989)

silenthill 06-30-2011 08:44 PM

Intelligent Oil Life Monitor
 
(Please note, I don't want this to become a discussion of when to change the oil, but to keep this thread about the iOLM in the 2012 Focus).

Under the scheduled maintenance section, the manual says the 2012 Focus has an intelligent oil life monitor (iOLM) that measures engine operating characteristics to recommend oil change intervals (similar to GM and on new Hondas). The manual says to see the chapter on Instrument Cluster for directions on how to reset it.

There's no additional information in my manual about the iOLM. I'm not seeing a menu item for it under MyFord. My buddy's 2011 Edge does have a menu item for this on his MyFord.

Furthermore, when I did my vehicle health report today, the report told me my car is due for an oil change in about 19,400 miles, which is exactly 20,000 minus my current mileage, and way outside what the device should be recommending.

I'm left wondering if the iOLM is not enabled on my car, or possibly any of the 2012 Foci. Is anyone getting an oil change estimate on their vehicle health report that coincides with what the owners manual says, which is 7,500 to 10,000 for normal driving?

Or am I missing something here?

darcar 06-30-2011 09:36 PM

I've downloaded the 2nd printing of the Owner's Manual. There you can find information about the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor on page 386.

I also found this in the Scheduled Maintenance section:

Quote:

As indicated by the message center: do not
exceed one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km)
Your 19,400 miles to go reading might be off because you have so few miles at this time.

silenthill 06-30-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darcar (Post 3725103)
I've downloaded the 2nd printing of the Owner's Manual. There you can find information about the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor on page 386.

Yes, that's the same printing as my manual. If you look on the next page, it says "Reset your Intelligent Oil Life MonitorTM after each engine oil and filter change; refer to the Instrument Cluster chapter"

There's no information in *that* chapter.

You may be right about me having so few miles, which is why I posted on here, to see what people with a few thousand miles are getting on their vehicle health report.

tigertiger 06-30-2011 09:46 PM

I downloaded the second edition of the owner's manual. It has this information:
Resetting the oil life monitoring system
1. Turn the ignition key to the on position. Do not start the engine. For vehicles with push-button start, press and hold the START/STOP button for two seconds without pressing the brake pedal. Do not attempt to start the engine.
2. Press both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time. 3. Keep both pedals fully pressed.
4. After three seconds, the Service: Oil reset in prog. message will be displayed.
5. After 25 seconds, the Service: Oil reset complete message will be displayed.
6. Release both the accelerator and brake pedals.
7. The Service: Oil reset complete message will no longer be displayed.
8. Rotate the key to the off position. For vehicles with push-button start, press the START/STOP button to turn the vehicle off completely.

silenthill 06-30-2011 09:48 PM

Ah, you rock. It's not in the Instrument Cluster section, but still under Maintenance. You rock!

I'm still curious about the 19,400 miles remaining message :-)

darcar 06-30-2011 10:05 PM

Tiger beat me to the answer. They really have you bouncing around the sections to find what you're looking for.

There probably aren't too many people who've owned the 2012 long enough to get the Message Center display about changing the oil. A few may be over 7500 miles, so hopefully anyone who has seen the message will chime in.

silenthill 06-30-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darcar (Post 3725158)
Tiger beat me to the answer. They really have you bouncing around the sections to find what you're looking for.

There probably aren't too many people who've owned the 2012 long enough to get the Message Center display about changing the oil. A few may be over 7500 miles, so hopefully anyone who has seen the message will chime in.

Indeed. I know there are a few people with 5k or more on here, so I'd be curious if they used the vehicle health report and see when it'd spec to go in from an oil change.

I'm a bit surprised there's no menu screen to see something along the lines of, "Oil Life: 90%", like on other vehicles.

6SPD_soul 06-30-2011 10:35 PM

Unless Ford is using some new space age gold plated shit, these types of "intelligent oil monitors" don't actually monitor the oil or its real time state because a sensor to analyze the oil would be prohibitively expensive. They use a computer program to stack together and analyze a lot of related parameters that contribute to oil degradation. It does calculations based on the recorded readings, and then compares that data to stored triggers, and when a certain amount of criteria add up the PCM deduces the oil is probably due for a change and triggers the oil change message.

It's basically the PCM guessing that your oil should be changed based on how the vehicle has been driven, and it's probably pretty accurate, but only accurate if you keep driving the car in the exact same way and everything stays equal. This is why electronic vehicle ranges fluctuate so wildly, and I don't think your car has accumulated enough data yet to give you any kind of accurate prediction about when the oil should be changed. After all, the oil is probably in pristine condition, and if it miraculously stayed in it's current state, it probably would be good for another 19K some miles.

It's kind of a stupid engineering oversight, if that's what's happening with your cars oil change estimation, but I'd bet money that's what's happening. Actually it's a VERY stupid engineering oversight, but that oil change monitor is in the software and can't be a faulty sensor or something throwing it that wildly off. Just bad programming.

Hopefully another new owner can chime in about this, I'd be surprised if your car is unique in this.

redav 06-30-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigertiger (Post 3725115)
I downloaded the second edition of the owner's manual. It has this information:
Resetting the oil life monitoring system
1. Turn the ignition key to the on position. Do not start the engine. For vehicles with push-button start, press and hold the START/STOP button for two seconds without pressing the brake pedal. Do not attempt to start the engine.
2. Press both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time. 3. Keep both pedals fully pressed.
4. After three seconds, the Service: Oil reset in prog. message will be displayed.
5. After 25 seconds, the Service: Oil reset complete message will be displayed.
6. Release both the accelerator and brake pedals.
7. The Service: Oil reset complete message will no longer be displayed.
8. Rotate the key to the off position. For vehicles with push-button start, press the START/STOP button to turn the vehicle off completely.

Seriously, they have some odd & complex methods to do simple stuff: set how doors are unlocked, tell the car its oil was changed, open & close the driver's door to reset the MFT ...

silenthill 06-30-2011 10:47 PM

No doubt. My initial inclination was that it was sloppy programming for an 'edge case', but I'd be curious to see other's results. The only reason I'm slightly suspicious is that the recommended oil change interval was precisely 20,000 miles if you added up the mileage on the odometer with the recommendation, which is exactly double the maximum range the OLM is supposed to list.

You may very well be right that there's not enough data, but I wouldn't think that's the case. 560 miles would be 18% of the way to the lower threshold of the OLM at 3,000 miles.

Incidentally, GM put out a white paper a few years ago about the metrics they use in their OLM. It was an interesting read.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp