Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Military Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Open General? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260729)

NotAnSES 06-15-2011 02:24 PM

Open General?

I got my AFSC yesterday and my recruiter told me I got "open general." The way he described it to me is that Ill pick from a job in the general career field when I get to BMT. So my question is... am I screwed? Does this mean im going to end up with some shitty job that no one else wanted? Is there any way I can get out of it? I REALLY wanted to do something in the mechanical field, and qualified for mostly mechanical jobs so I dont really get why they have me as "open general" Help? My recruiter also set my BMT ship date waayyy back to November which really screws me.

JCH841 06-15-2011 08:44 PM

You'll get to pick any job field that they are short handed in. Uncle Sam's Canoe Club used the buzzwords "Needs of the Navy." Better hope they are not short on "bullet absorbers" or "roadside bomb blast sumps" on the day you pick! Seriously, if you sign on the dotted line without a guaranteed feild, I've got a bridge in NY for you. Retired USN Mustang

goinloco1 06-17-2011 01:38 PM

Yup, as above. Never sign when something says open or general,it leaves it exactly that way. Open to what they need... Not your wants. But there are a lot of good career fields out there that are low due to to many not qualifying.

NotAnSES 06-18-2011 06:22 PM

Now he said I lost that job (thank god) but I still have to wait until november/december to leave

DarkSpork 08-07-2011 07:58 PM

DO NOT enlist open general. There's a 90% chance you'll land up in Security Forces. Remember, you're still a free man until you do your final swear in (just before leaving for BMT).

If your recruiter tries to tell you that you MUST go in as open general, or some other job you don't want, find a different recruiter or find a different branch. I should have.

5characters 08-11-2011 08:03 PM

Cops and cooks come from open general but remember you'll be a real OG. haha At meps I picked my job then at BMT they 'interviewed' me and asked if I wanted my job I said yeah then asked what would happen if I’d said no, and they said try to get my second pick.

Foleysfocus11 08-13-2011 01:35 AM

do not sign open general decide what you want to do and make sure you have it in writing before you go. I agree if your recruiter tells you otherwise go find a different recruiter. GET IT WRITING

WiscoGTI 09-16-2011 04:23 PM

As everyone said.. if it ain't exactly what you want, don't sign.

You can back out up until the second you get on that plane for BMT (I call it BCT.. Army is a bit different.) I never even swore in a 2nd time lol. So teccccchnically I'm not really in the military. [giddy]

Be glad you didn't go Army or Marines. Waste. of. time. For me, anyway.