Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   MyFord Touch Dead in my 7 day old Titanium (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259761)

Angel91354 06-03-2011 07:38 PM

MyFord Touch Dead in my 7 day old Titanium

Hi all. Some disappointing news on my 7 day old new Titanium. My touch screen went dark and NONE of the steering controls worked - including voice. My local Ford dealer has had the car for 3 days and now wants to keep it until next week...

Day ONE: Dealer admitted they have no clue why entire system would die since the system is so new. They need to keep the car and contact Ford;

Day TWO: Dealer says Ford advised them to replace screen module. Needs to order it but will have it next day;

Day THREE: Dealer received part and installed it. Now, steering wheel controls work but the screen is still dead. I'm told they need to re-consult with Ford on matter. It's Friday night and Ford doesn't offer loaner cars (I guess I was spoiled with Acura). I guess I will await Monday to hear what else is suggested.

I was really starting to love this car![?|]

me2000 06-03-2011 07:52 PM

Did you get a rental??

Insane how all these quality issues are coming up.

viney266 06-03-2011 08:29 PM

Well, sometimes new things take a dump...thus warranties, especially in the electronics dept... Sounds like you have an honest dealer who is trying hard to fix the problem...be patient, but yeah that sucks

I"d get a rental or a loaner from them if you can

mysticbluebmw 06-03-2011 08:55 PM

That really sucks, but at least they're trying. Hope it get fixed soon. I've seen a fair amount of folks get enterprise rentals for warranty work at Ford dealers. You may want to inquire and see if your dealer has an arrangement with your local enterprise rental car.

Minoy 06-03-2011 10:15 PM

Ford is supposed to provide you with a rental car. Read your warranty paper work.

Sayer 06-04-2011 01:09 AM

First, Minoy is 100% right. If they have to keep the car overnight they are required to provide you with a rental car. This is just your dealer trying to skip out on the cost to rent a car. You need to take it up with the service manager and if he refuses to help you ask to speak with the overall dealership manager.

Second, that MyFord Touch has been glitchy and problematic in these cars since they released it. It's the only reason I went with the SE with the standard SYNC only screen instead of the upgraded touch screen. Just too many issues. Ford has done something like seven or eight upgrades to the software in an effort to get the problem under control. I've heard that Mulally is personal involved and apparently pretty upset about the whole thing. I'm sure some pink slips have been handed out over it. They'll get the problem sorted out but I knew going in that I wouldn't buy a Focus with the touch screen until at least two to three years into production so the system would be trouble free.

Having said that, let me just add that my SE with the sports package has been completely trouble free and a blast to drive.

DEREKC 06-04-2011 03:30 AM

Perhaps the dealer can talk with Ford and replace the entire car?? Its worth a try!
Their could be a pinched wire somewhere which caused a short in the system, in which case I would not consider it to be a quality issue. If so, it could be difficult to find, and or replace the wiring harness...hence my first thought above!!

Tony407 06-04-2011 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayer (Post 3694523)
First, Minoy is 100% right. If they have to keep the car overnight they are required to provide you with a rental car. This is just your dealer trying to skip out on the cost to rent a car.

If a repair is covered under warranty, Ford reimburses the dealership for the costs for a rental car, shuttle, etc. So the dealership shouldn't have a care in the world as far as getting you the necessary transportation.

Tony

Sayer 06-04-2011 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony407 (Post 3694588)
If a repair is covered under warranty, Ford reimburses the dealership for the costs for a rental car, shuttle, etc. So the dealership shouldn't have a care in the world as far as getting you the necessary transportation.

Tony

I know, but they have to front the cost in the first place and sometimes they figure it's easier to just tell the customer "no" than to deal with getting reimbursed.

misfire 06-04-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayer (Post 3694523)
First, Minoy is 100% right. If they have to keep the car overnight they are required to provide you with a rental car. This is just your dealer trying to skip out on the cost to rent a car. You need to take it up with the service manager and if he refuses to help you ask to speak with the overall dealership manager.

Second, that MyFord Touch has been glitchy and problematic in these cars since they released it. It's the only reason I went with the SE with the standard SYNC only screen instead of the upgraded touch screen. Just too many issues. Ford has done something like seven or eight upgrades to the software in an effort to get the problem under control. I've heard that Mulally is personal involved and apparently pretty upset about the whole thing. I'm sure some pink slips have been handed out over it. They'll get the problem sorted out but I knew going in that I wouldn't buy a Focus with the touch screen until at least two to three years into production so the system would be trouble free.

Having said that, let me just add that my SE with the sports package has been completely trouble free and a blast to drive.

YOU SIR ARE WRONG.

FoMoCo only gives "loaners" to Lincoln customers and that is only if the covered componant is under warranty that will cover the rental. i.e.(broken mirror switch that has to be ordered and is 3 days away doesnt cover wa car)

This is in your owners manual on page 11 of your warranty section. Please go look for yourself if you don't believe me.

The dealer may offer a car as a courtesy for the inconvenience, but they are not in any way obligated.

"Ford and your dealer are not responsible for any time or income that
you lose, any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your
transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles, fuel,
telephone, travel, meals, or lodging, the loss of personal or commercial
property, the loss of revenue, or for any other incidental or
consequential damages you may have."