Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   2012 Performance Upgrades - Where To Start? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259678)

Joeywhat 06-02-2011 09:45 PM

2012 Performance Upgrades - Where To Start?

OK, so I've got my 2012 Focus, and it's great...naturally I'd like to do a little modding to get the most out of it. I don't really know a whole lot about what parts are good for what I want, what parts work best together, etc. Let's assume that all the 'typical' upgrades for these sorts of vehicles are out for the 2012, considering at this point there really isn't a whole lot available.

This car is primarily my DD, so I don't want anything too absurd. I'm also planning on auto crossing it. So I don't really need go fast upgrades as much as turning and stopping...I want to keep this car fun, too. I have no desire to be working on it all the time replacing parts. It IS still my DD primarily.

Where would you guys start with this? I saw DGR has coilovers for the 2012 out now, is that a good start? I wish I could get in on the group buy but probably won't have the cash for a bit...are there other cheaper upgrades I could look into?

I'm starting with summer tires, although I may not get those until after this coming winter.

And again...yes I realize nothing is out yet, so I'm looking for generic parts recommendations instead of specifics.

DrkKnight614 06-03-2011 12:18 AM

Posted via FF Mobile Which focus do you have?

Joeywhat 06-03-2011 12:30 AM

5 door SE with sport package.

DrkKnight614 06-03-2011 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeywhat (Post 3693307)
5 door SE with sport package.

Posted via FF Mobile Id start with summer tires. I wouldnt go tearing into the suspension just yet, enjoy the sport suspension, from what I heard its pretty good. Exhaust and intake would be the next things, unfortunatly no one has aftermarket parts yet. You could always throw on some tint also.

entity 06-03-2011 03:00 AM

Be the first to get a custom mandrel bent catback from a shop and report back! :)

Oh, and videos are required too.

Stereodude 06-03-2011 08:38 AM

Save your pennies, wait for the Focus ST, and then trade it in? [hihi]

e30og 06-03-2011 11:51 PM

this car would sound great with intake/exhaust; I like the way it rumbles now when you push it past 4k RPMs (ok 'rumble' may be too strong a word), but its pretty muffled. will be waiting for exhaust or intake to come out

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stereodude (Post 3693557)
Save your pennies, wait for the Focus ST, and then trade it in? [hihi]

....sounds tempting

Sayer 06-04-2011 01:00 AM

Just be careful about modding. This 2.0 Ford direct injection engine is pretty new to the American car scene and I'd be afraid that some aftermarket shop will not properly beta test something before releasing it for sale and over time it could cause problems. But I just worry like that because I don't trust most of these aftermarket vendors anymore.

At any rate, you are talking about an engine that already runs a fuel / air ratio of 40 to 1. A normal car is 14 to 1. So I'd be careful about messing around with CAI's and tuners that could alter that ratio even further. I know it's tempting. I'd love to get just a little more out of mine. Let us know how things turn out.

Joeywhat 06-04-2011 07:57 AM

I'm more interested in suspension and making the body more rigid. As a general rule I don't like to do go fast mods unless I'm really going to make some decent power, and it won't make the car a poor DD...and I'm thinking with this car that's going to be a turbo or at LEAST breaking into the internals quite a bit...more work and money then I care to spend right now.

As far as a tune goes, however...I'd REALLY like to rework the trans a bit so the computer stops screwing around with it (Select Shift). When using the paddle shifter the computer will still up/down shift if you're going too fast or slow, which I don't like. It's hard to shift at redline when the computer wants to do it too, and you end up shifting from 1st to 3rd...I'm also curious to know if a tune will make the car shift more quickly when using the paddle. It seems to want to wait a bit before shifting for whatever reason, and it's rather annoying. The up the rev limiter a bit with the brake pressed (stock 2700 rpm in S mode) so you can launch it a bit better and I'd be all set. The motor makes pretty good power, just have to keep the revs up a bit.

I think this car would be abso-freakin'-lutely awesome if the gearbox could have the suck taken out of it. I'm not too familiar with tunes though so I don't know if that's possible...considering it's all computer controlled I'd like to believe it could happen, though.

And as far as some half ass shop doing the work...no chance. Been there done that with plenty of other things. I don't buy cheap stuff any more, and I do my research when having others do the work.

vmaxbaby 06-05-2011 04:45 PM

Once someone like Borla or the like comes out with a cat back system we should be okay. They will dyno test the cars for sure to see what works and what doesn't. The CAI will be tested as well. But sometimes does require a retune. I won't do that until the warranty is over unless the company doing has some proof it is safe.