Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   New Owner; BIG concern! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2593)

prayingd 11-01-2003 12:54 PM

New Owner; BIG concern!

HI!

I just purchased a leftover 2003 Focus SE, which I plan to pick up Monday, Nov. 3. I've been wanting one of these for a few years...just waiting until the trans. went out on my '96 Mercury Mystique.

I was pretty thrilled until I read (last night) some complaints on another site regarding bad allignments, FAST tire wear, certain tires going bad quickly, cupping, etc. Many claimed that Ford and the dealerships generally did nothing but charge for allignments and shrug thier shoulders.

This makes me nervous!

Any input on this issue?

Thanks for your honesty. I still may be able to pull out of this purchase!

hotfocus 11-01-2003 01:00 PM

Welcome aboard Dennis and congrats, I personally haven't had any issues with bad tire wear or alignment. Like most cars, some problems may occur on some and not others. I personally wouldn't worry too much about this issue.

If you are going to modify your car, I suggest you purchase the SE with a Zetec engine.

EuroZX3Focus 11-01-2003 01:05 PM

Ive never had that particular problem, however I have had a few others (bad wiring problems causing damage, bad wheel bearings, defective paint) all of which Ford f&*%ed me over and I had to pay out of pocket, beware of what you're getting, check the fine print, and honestly from my standpoint Id never go with a Ford again after this. Evey dealership around here refuses to service my car because its modified, its absolutely absurd....not saying you'll have the same experience, but it happens

Sublime 11-01-2003 01:37 PM

Just monitor the tires and if they start wearing funny get the car alligned.

viney266 11-01-2003 01:53 PM

I will agree with the above..just keep an eye on the tires, I honestly wouldn't sweat not buying a car over a tire wear issue, tires are not alot of money in the long run. Welcome and good luck with the new car!

Fabster82 11-01-2003 04:18 PM

welcome aboard. i havent had any type of problem with my tires on my car and on my old 2001 se. everything with the tires were great

bfocused 11-01-2003 04:29 PM

First let me say welcome to the forum, this is THE place for Focus info.

I drove my 2000 ZX3 Kona for 58,000 miles, and never had any problems with alignment or early tire wear. I now have 11k on my SVTF, and no problems with alignment so far.

As far as I am concerned the Focus has been a very good car for me. There were some recalls for chicken-chit stuff on the 2000 focus. The press had a field day with the number of recalls for the focus, and suggested the car was un-safe, but if you do some research you will see what I mean by chicken-chit items.

My last place of employment before I retired was a Ford Dealer. I worked in the collision shop, but still kept an eye on what was going on in the service dept. I can tell you that the Focus has proven to be no worse than any other vehicle out there.

Just my 2 cents worth.
bfocused

prayingd 11-01-2003 04:44 PM

Thanks for the input...any concerns about the brakes?

The only other concern I have is with brakes. I have heard numerous horror stories related to squeeling brakes, rotors that wear out with less than 20K miles (not to mention the pads going at 12-15K), etc. Anyone here have such problems?

Thanks for any input!

avengerc4 11-01-2003 06:12 PM

the rotors MIGHT be of some concern cause some ppl have had problems but ford should repair messed up rotors for u...as far as tire wear that site just tryin to get u to buy their car...I havn't heard of any tire wear problems or had any on my car...hopefully my brake rotors won't go :) welp good luck

Kicknzx3 11-01-2003 06:21 PM

Re: Thanks for the input...any concerns about the brakes?

Quote:

Originally posted by prayingd
The only other concern I have is with brakes. I have heard numerous horror stories related to squeeling brakes, rotors that wear out with less than 20K miles (not to mention the pads going at 12-15K), etc. Anyone here have such problems?

Thanks for any input!

depends on how you drive, i still have plenty of pad left, perfect rotors and i have 48k on my car..