Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Training for Basic Training (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258947)

NotAnSES 05-25-2011 11:32 AM

Training for Basic Training

Leaving for Basic sometime in August or September and I need to get conditioned so I dont look like a vaj, or fail a PT test. Does anybody have any tips to train for Basic, I dont want to push it too hard and possibly mess something up. Any supplements I should take? Right now I have been hitting the gym about 3-4 days a week and drinking muscle milk after every workout. Any better ideas because I dont see any results yet and its been over a month.

Duffman355 05-25-2011 11:34 AM

what are you doing at the gym? What ais your diet?

NotAnSES 05-25-2011 11:39 AM

I switch it up every day. Monday:Legs, Running, Squats, Leg curls etc. Wednesday: Strength training, pushups, bench press, dumbbell flys etc. Friday: Core, Situps, pull ups, etc.

madisonHQ 05-25-2011 11:45 AM

Dude work on your cardio !!!!!!!!!!!!

Duffman355 05-25-2011 11:50 AM

Screw your core, you need to add back exercises as well. Pull ups are great, but deadlifts will literally work everything sans chest in your body (core included). You gotta do those. Bench presses, squats and shoulder presses are great compound exercises.
For me, Mom is chest day (flat and iclined bench etc)., tues is back (deadlifts, pulldowns, t-bar, pull ups whatever), Wed is shoulders (overhead press, seated dumbell press etc), Thus is leg day (squats, leg press). Avoid the leg curl machine, as that will do more harm than good. Switch to a paleoithic/Atkins diet (protein and fat basically), and if you want to burn fat and gain muscle mass, try doing 5 sets of 5.
I'm sure Orange will chime in here later as he has great knowledge on weight training, but we usually share similar opinions. There is nothing wrong with muscle milk, but whey is better. Milk and whey proteins are the best for building muscle mass. If you buy protein powder, mix them with whole milk. Protein is worthless without fat. If you are going basic, keep running/sprinting etc. daily.

NotAnSES 05-25-2011 11:55 AM

Thanks! Im going to copy this and print it off so I can take it to the gym with me lol I cant remember all of that on the top of my head.

Rafal 05-25-2011 11:58 AM

run, run, run and then run even more ;D that si the only think I remember from my basic

ryuclan 05-25-2011 12:14 PM

There's really no way of training for it but your best bet would be to grab a weight vest of maybe about 40 pounds and get some cardio in. not on a treadmill but outside where you'll feel the impact in your feet knees and legs.

FNSMOKE 05-25-2011 12:39 PM

OP,
Currently an military member (RESERVE) and I'd recommend to anyone coming in .... RUN. That's usually the biggest issue for new recruits. So, work on your run and review your requirements to pass. A practice PT test every week will do three things;
1. show you where you are
2. what you need to improve
3. give you some confidence that the PT is just another workout

Good luck.

bowelmovement 05-25-2011 01:31 PM

Strength is not an issue...just run.